Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographing while drunk or stoned

Photographing while drunk or stoned

How many of you actively photograph while inebriated?

How are your results?

Dan, are you with the police?

I do. Doesn't usually help technically. I inhaled last week just before taking a lovely rushing water shot...with my pack in it. I don't do stupid crap like that when I'm not stoned, but it does modify a little something in the normal patterns of thought. That's not an endorsement, just an observation.

Drank beer one time years ago in a hot summer night in the darkroom. Then "accidently" left the top off a fresh 500 sheet box of 8x10 Poly F paper when turning on the lights, ruining several sheets on top and leaving a black edge on the remaining 400 plus sheets, just to remind me how stupid it is to drink beer in the darkroom, no matter how hot it is. Shot a friend's wedding while partaking in the free booze at the reception (over 30 years ago). Photos turned out fine. Everyone else was bombed too, making some interesting photos!

My personal opinion is that alchohol dulls the senses, narrowing one's awareness, and limits one's creativity. There is that idea that things that seem interesting in a particular altered state, only seem interesting when you're in that particular state.

If that's true then photos taken while drunk would have to be "appreciated" by someone who was drunk! There's a thought! You could do an entire show photos taken while drunk, and then require all viewers to have several drinks before viewing the show.

I never do. Given all the mistakes that you can do in LF when you're distracted, I wonder if I'd get any useable result at all. At least with alcohol, it makes you too numb. Perhaps it could be different with say,
    pot, but I never tried that combo either.

If I inhaled befor a shoot I don't think I could muster up the motivation to gather up my sixty some pounds
    of equipment besides there is no better high than a good shoot.How about you Dan?

I'm with you Chad, and also during printing.

William Eggleston does exactly that. Doesn't work for me.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

I have a hard enough time doing photography while completely sober. I save the vino for when I'm done.

Actually , I have some clients that prefer to drink and inhale during a darkroom session, loud music , lots of chatter, and we just spend the evening making prints. the results seem to work for us.
    Popping a few Old Milwakkes and listening to Green Day , Rush, Zepplin and Hendrix at full volumne is my prefered method of printing. May not work for others but I love it.
    Right now I have two blown speakers(2nd time) so I have to listen to a crappy portable until I can get the big boys hooked up again.
    tenants in the building hate my shop because of this so I work on technical work during the week and save the weekends and evenings for the fun prints.