Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expiration time for Ilford photo paper

Re: Expiration time for Ilford photo paper

I have some 10 years old Ilford Multigrade FB (stored at room temperature) that is indistinguishable from fresh stock.

I also used up some Ilford Gallery that was 25 years old, switched to a fresh pack and carried on using the same settings.

I'm sure a lot depends on how much background radiation you have in your area, as well as how hot and humid your storage area is.

Martin

Re: Expiration time for Ilford photo paper

It's one of those occasions when the most accurate answer is the traditional 'it depends' . . . In this case it depends on all of the factors mentioned above, as well as some really weird ones such as was anything heavy sitting on the envelope or box holding the paper (it can be exposed by pressure, over time). Testing is the only way to realy know, and do test (part of) a sheet from the middle as well as an end as that can find more differences! A slightly fogged paper could be rescued by an anti-fog additive (though I have never tried them), or can still be perfectly suited to making lumen prints or, if even fogging, for making paper negs.

To check for any fog, snip a couple of small test pieces of the paper. Under safelight (or no light) process one sheet as normal and just put the other directly in the fixer. If the developed piece is a little darker than the only-fixed test, then there is some fogging showing up.