Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenses W H Jackson used in the 1800s?

Lenses W H Jackson used in the 1800s?

Does anyone know of what lenses W H Jackson had used for taking his photographs in the 1800s? Only info I've been able find is that he used cameras ranging from 8x10 to 17x20. Have not been able to find at all any reference to what lenses he used. I'd even settle for someone's speculation on what kind(s) of lenses he used. Am trying to emulate his images for an exhibit for our town's Museum.
    thanks
    Greg

Re: Lenses W H Jackson used in the 1800s?

He lived until 1940, and wrote an autobiography. Can't remember the title, I've looked into it but did not read it all. Perhaps you'll find out there; even if not, it should be useful background info.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

He had a pair of Willard lenses on his stereo camera, that's the extent of my knowledge...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I wouldn't be surprised if he used a Harrison Schnitzer Globe or a Dallmeyer Wide Angle Rectilinear on his early landscape cameras.

He used a Leica with I believe a 50mm Summar late in life!

If you are really good, you can identify this lens he's using. I can't.

I have a biography William Henry Jackson - Framing the Frontier by Douglas Waitley published in 1998. (ISBN 0-87842-382-6 Mountain Press Pub). It's a good read but really not any detailed info on actual hardware used. Excellent Bibliography. Jackson had diaries which someone apparently published in book form in 1959. https://www.amazon.com/Diaries-Willi.../dp/1258197634

Amazing thread!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Does anyone know of what lenses W H Jackson had used for taking his photographs in the 1800s? Only info I've been able find is that he used cameras ranging from 8x10 to 17x20. Have not been able to find at all any reference to what lenses he used. I'd even settle for someone's speculation on what kind(s) of lenses he used. Am trying to emulate his images for an exhibit for our town's Museum.
    thanks
    Greg
    1860's thru 1870's? Most likely used landscape lenses. Long focus doublets. Euryscope comes to mind.

I have re-taken many of W. H. Jackson's scenes in Montana and Wyoming, from the Hayden Surveys of 1871, 1872, and 1878. I looked through his autobiographies (Time Exposure, Pioneer Photographer) for information on lenses, but could find little to none. Jackson had a large kit - more than one type of camera (e.g., stereo, view cameras) of different format sizes and his equipment changed over the years. He tended to use the best equipment he could get, and experimented with different materials, and sometimes this did not work out -- he had no images from his Mesa Verde work in 1877, the latent image did not last on his dry plates.

If anything, his lenses tended to be wide for a given format. The widest I dealt with was Jackson 919 (USGS), the non-stereo version. The angle of view along the horizontal axis was about 90 degrees. I could look through my notes and summarize them, but if you have particular scenes in mind, and I have re-taken them, I can give you specific information. You can also use topographic maps and Google Earth to figure it out, and calculate focal length from field of view. As for lens brands and type, experts on camera technology could weigh-in.

Probably wide angles. There were a few wide angles, but those I already mentioned were popular. The lens in the picture doesn't look like the Dallmeyer (or anyone's) meniscus, which were in a "can" type mount. I think I see a hood.
    Last edited by goamules; 28-Feb-2017 at 16:52.