Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide-angle Fujinons

Photographer

Re: Fujinon

You can also find some info on Fuji lenses here: http://www.thalmann.com Follow the link in the "Contact" section.
    Keith Pitman

Dave Karp

I have a 125mm Fujinon NW. It covers 4x5 with movements, but you have to be careful. I love the lens and focal length. I also have a 120mm f/8 Fujinon SW that is huge, with lots of coverage. That one does not spend too much time in my backpack if I am going on a long hike. The smaller, lighter 125mm is with me quite often. The newer 125mm CM-W has a bit more coverage, but it is larger, requiring 67mm filters.

Dave Karp

I should have said what I meant by "be careful." There is room for decent movement, but you have to watch the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Doremus, have you read the compilation of Fuji documentation that links in posts #2 and #3 above point to?

I ask because it says that 1st generation f/5.6 Fujinons, "W" in the literature and engraved "W", are indeed 6/4 plasmats that cover as much as 80 degrees depending on focal length. These are the ones with serial numbers etc. on the trim rings. Claimed coverage for the 125/5.6 is 210 mm.

The second generation, "NW" in the literature but engraved "W", are 6/6. I don't know that type's name, but it isn't plasmat. These are the ones with serial numbers on the rear cell and lens identification on the outside of the front cell. Claimed coverage for the 125/5.6 is 198 mm.

The third generation, CM W in the literature and so engraved, are 6/5. These also have serial numbers on the rear cell and ID on the outside of the front cell. The 125/5.6 CM-W's claimed coverage is 204 mm.

I don't see why a 125/5.6 Fujinon won't cover 4x5 with movements. I also don't see how Fuji found so much more coverage than their competitors.
    Hi Dan,

Yes, I'm familiar with the Fujinon documentation (I have the web pages on my hard drive). And yes, I was way over-generalizing for the OP about lens designs. I don't know what the exact designation for the 6/6 and 6/5 Fujinons is, but since the angle of coverage is similar to the plasmats, and since Fuji considers them in the same "family" (or updated, "improved" versions of the plasmats), I've always just lumped them together for convenience's sake. I'm less interested in the design and more in the "families" delineated by angle of coverage, max. aperture and overall size and weight. I was trying to communicate that idea to the OP as simply as possible.

As for coverage: sure, the 125mm Fujis will cover 4x5, and even allow some movements, especially back movements that don't move the film out of the image circle. However, I find image circles around or less than ~200mm not very practical when you need any rise and shift at all. I run out of coverage easily with my plasmat 135mm lenses when working in the city, heck, I vignette my 90mm SA f/8 all too often, so I was trying to make the OP aware of the issue of coverage.

What I didn't know was that the Fuji 105mm CM-W had enough coverage to make it usable on 4x5. I'll stick with my 100mm WF Ektar, though.

Best,

Doremus

I have a fujinon 210 w that covers 8x10 and a 125 cm-w both are really good. The necessity of a huge amount movements is somewhat overrated... depends on what are you are doing... When i started (it took around 10 years to start) in large format i thought that one could only take full profit of the format and itīs methodology when huge image circles were available, i invested in a a 150 sironar w and a grandagon 90mm, some followed... i also thought that newer and best branded lenses were a must... internet started to say this and that lens is a blast and the rest were less good... and you always want the best...

looking at my negatives and positives... the lenses are just different... color wise, contrast wise... you either like it or not... but just a 10% change in your developing time can alter your judgement... and you will say: this lens is really good or: it lacks contrast...

resolution wise... i have a ton of lenses and out of stupid curiosity i photographed through all of them in digital... and i just think they are all good, specially the ones post 1980... differences are to be negleted... older lenses are worst in the corners.

Re: Wide-angle Fujinons

Thanks all and Doremus for your explanations. I have now read Thalmans link and the sub club link. Plenty to digest.
    Thanks again to all who commented
    Peter