Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of head are you using with your monorail camera?

What kind of head are you using with your monorail camera?

So I've just purchased a Toyo 810g and I'm looking for a new tripod. I currently own a Vanguard tripod with a pan/tilt head for my 4x5 monorail and would like to get something similar that can hold the extra weight of the 8x10. With the weight of the 810g being around 20lbs, it seemed like the majority of heads suited for that weight (around 25-30lbs) are predominately ball heads. I've never used a ball head before and feel like there would be nothing to hold onto when changing the position/tilting of the camera like there is with a pan/tilt head besides the actual rail of the camera which I'm not sure is the best practice or could possibly damage the rail??
    What kind of head are you using for your monorail? If you own a ball head do you have any issues with tilting the camera?

Re: What kind of head are you using with your monorail camera?

I think ball heads are totally useless with a view camera.

There are enough problems setting the camera properly when you do only one axis at a time.

With a ball head, if you get one axis right, you lose that adjustment when trying to do the other axis.

Ball heads are designed for video cameras that need to rotate all over the place.

I use a Monarch tripod with a geared head. It's geared for front/back tilt, and just locked for left/right tilt.
    I don't know if there are different sizes available. The one I have would support a small truck.
    I know you can get them with single or dual (side-by-side) legs. I have one of each.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Foamer

For a small 4x5 field camera a quality ballhead works fine. For bigger stuff, such as the 4x5 Cambo monorail I first had, I was using a Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 head. That thing was a beast, and it was solid!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I had an 810G for a while. Wow: Heavy!

It's expensive, but I think your best option would be a Ries system tripod and head at www.riestripod.com. I would use two clamps and a plate for added stability, fastening the underside of the plate to the Ries.

For example, I tried a Manfrotto 475 tripod with the 3039 head, both having weight capacities above 20lbs. But, I felt camera shake was too much. Tried a 3372 Feisol, heavy duty CF tripod with the 3039 head. Also tried a Gitzo 1570 head with one or both of the 475 or the 3372. Still a little subject to moment-arm vibration, but better than without the 1570.

Les

My Arca-Swiss (rated for 130lbs) supports all my gear - no perspiration.

Les

When working out of the car, I use a Ries A100 with their head; extremely solid setup. When hiking, I use a Gitzo 1570 mounted on carbon fiber legs. For reference, my 8x10 camera/lens weight is 12 - 15 lbs, depending on lens mounted. Never had any issues with either tripod setup.

Majestic on Arkay Studio stand or Majestic tripod.

I do just fine with my CF tripod and 3039 head for a 13lbs 8x10. But raise the weight to that of the 810G, and my tripod and head were outweighed.

And it's not just weight, either. It's also design and whether the equipment becomes subject to tuning fork vibrations. My current tripod and head could handle the weight of the 810G just fine. But the propensity of the system to vibrate was problematic. Without having owned one, this is where I think that wood design can have an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mixthe76 View Post
    So I've just purchased a Toyo 810g and I'm looking for a new tripod. I currently own a Vanguard tripod with a pan/tilt head for my 4x5 monorail and would like to get something similar that can hold the extra weight of the 8x10. With the weight of the 810g being around 20lbs, it seemed like the majority of heads suited for that weight (around 25-30lbs) are predominately ball heads. I've never used a ball head before and feel like there would be nothing to hold onto when changing the position/tilting of the camera like there is with a pan/tilt head besides the actual rail of the camera which I'm not sure is the best practice or could possibly damage the rail??
    What kind of head are you using for your monorail? If you own a ball head do you have any issues with tilting the camera?
    The answers might be more relevant, if you indicated how the 8x10 monorail was going to be used...

Studio only, location work, hiking (yikes), some combination...

I am another one who does not like ball heads for LF work.

My preferred head is a Linhof Karden leveling head working on the same idea as the Reis plan-head.

Hope that helps,

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    The answers might be more relevant, if you indicated how the 8x10 monorail was going to be used...

Studio only, location work, hiking (yikes), some combination...

I am another one who does not like ball heads for LF work.

My preferred head is a Linhof Karden leveling head working on the same idea as the Reis plan-head.

Hope that helps,

Len
    Yea I'd use the 8x10 for studio and some location work every once in a while. What's the difference of a leveling head to other heads?