Thread: A1 printer with dedicated mode for digital negatives

A1 printer with dedicated mode for digital negatives

hello,
    i read somewhere that one of the HPs had a dedicated option for digital negatives (that implies using all necessary inks in order to assure best gradients/UV blockage). is that true, are there any producer that offer that facility ? (i know about piezography and about burckholder's method, but having the built-in option seems more simpler to me).
    thank you for your tiime.

Re: A1 printer with dedicated mode for digital negatives

Nope, nothing like that available these days.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by silviull View Post
    hello,
    i read somewhere that one of the HPs had a dedicated option for digital negatives (that implies using all necessary inks in order to assure best gradients/UV blockage). is that true, are there any producer that offer that facility ? (i know about piezography and about burckholder's method, but having the built-in option seems more simpler to me).
    thank you for your tiime.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Nope, nothing like that available these days.

Sandy
    honored but unhappy having you replying...
    i guess i'll try the canon ipf670 (5 colors, black is pigment, i have the burckholder book and your articles as guiding) and hope for the best...

BTW, the only printer that ever offered any support for digital negatives was the HP Z3200 in 24" and 44' sizes. However, even that support was not available for that printer in the last years of production. And of course, at that size it was a fairly expensive printer.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/...topic=115400.0

It is a shame that some profiling support for digital negative media is not offered for current inkjet printers, but the market is limited, and the process requirements in terms of density range and curve type vary much more for alternative printing than for regular inkjet printing.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by silviull View Post
    honored but unhappy having you replying...
    i guess i'll try the canon ipf670 (5 colors, black is pigment, i have the burckholder book and your articles as guiding) and hope for the best...
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    It is a shame that some profiling support for digital negative media is not offered for current inkjet printers, but the market is limited, and the process requirements in terms of density range and curve type vary much more for alternative printing than for regular inkjet printing.

Sandy
    Hi Sandy,

Not exactly universal profiling support because it's limited to Epson UC K3 inks and QTR, but I've been playing around with Richard Boutwell's QCDN (Quick Curve for Digital Negatives) for about a month now and I'm pretty impressed with the results I'm seeing. Easy to use and even provides a manual method for tweaking the linearization curves!

If anyone is interested, see:

https://www.bwmastery.com/quadtonepr...tal-negatives/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Hi Sandy,

Not exactly universal profiling support because it's limited to Epson UC K3 inks and QTR, but I've been playing around with Richard Boutwell's QCDN (Quick Curve for Digital Negatives) for about a month now and I'm pretty impressed with the results I'm seeing. Easy to use and even provides a manual method for tweaking the linearization curves!

If anyone is interested, see:

https://www.bwmastery.com/quadtonepr...tal-negatives/
    Hi Alan,

I am familiar with Richard Boutwell's QTR tools and own the software. Glad to hear you are getting good results.

As you say, the utility is limited to Epson printers with QTR as the QuadTone RIP driver can not be used with Canon and HP printers. However, it is not limited to Epson K3 inks as you can also use Boutwell's tool kit to create profiles for digital negatives with custom all gray ink sets. The version of the software I have is limited to custom gray ink sets of six inks or less but he may offer support up to 8 inks at some time. My main system for digital negatives is a custom all gray ink set with eight shades of gray (made up from various dilutions of the Epson PK, LK and LLK inks) that I use with my own profile created with regular QTR tools.

I have read that Walker Blackwell is working on a digital negative system for Epson printers that will use a totally new driver. https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com...ly/004055.html

“Hey everyone. I’m in the initial stages of building a totally new Epson driver dedicated to light sensitive print production (historical process and silver). It will make both positive and negative transparencies and be fully controllable with standard ICC profiling systems (just like normal paper inkjet printing). It will also double the resolution of the Epson printer beyond what the Epson drivers allow (new driver will do 2880x2880 for wide format printers, and 5760x2880 for small format printers including the new SureColors). I’d like your thoughts on what default negative density slopes would be useful as a starting point. Here are my thoughts on the defaults and the naming schema. These are essentially “media types” that you would select before hitting print.”
    ………

Blackwell is the guy who developed the current PiezoDN system for Piezography inks so he is definitely someone who knows what he is doing. https://piezography.com/piezodn

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the correction that Richard's system is not limited to UC K3. Also, thanks for the heads up regarding Mr. Blackwell. I will definitely keep a look out for what he's up to!

HP had an employee that made up a routine on his own and created OMS presets and a step by step process to do digital negatives for Sliver prints and also one for platinum. Apparently using a mixture of the green and black ink on the HP Z3100 and Z3200 printers could provide smoother and finer control for the Platinum process and it's different than the Silver neg. Maybe this is what the OP is referring to? There is an easy way to make the calibrations for dark and light points and to generate the curves. I've only experimented with this and gotten decent results with the sliver one but I've heard good things about it. You may be able to find the OMS and digital negative workflow from the HP website (Look for HP digital negative) , but if not I can make it available.

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    HP had an employee that made up a routine on his own and created OMS presets and a step by step process to do digital negatives for Sliver prints and also one for platinum. Apparently using a mixture of the green and black ink on the HP Z3100 and Z3200 printers could provide smoother and finer control for the Platinum process and it's different than the Silver neg. Maybe this is what the OP is referring to? There is an easy way to make the calibrations for dark and light points and to generate the curves. I've only experimented with this and gotten decent results with the sliver one but I've heard good things about it. You may be able to find the OMS and digital negative workflow from the HP website (Look for HP digital negative) , but if not I can make it available.
    I alluded to this in a previous message in the thread. The employee who developed the system was Angel Albarran, an HP engineer based in Barecelona, Spain, who, developed a software “paper preset” and firmware modifications for making digital negatives that were incorporated in the then new HP Z3200 Inkjet Printer. That was in 2010. This modification was apparently never strongly supported by HP, and HP appears to have lost complete interest in the application.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Design...s/td-p/5755864

Those who still own a working Z3200 would still be able to use the software and firmware modifications if they are able to obtain a copy.

Sandy