Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 78

Thread: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

  1. #41
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    7,405

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    One thing nice about placing the camera in a stuff sack (waterproof), is that if any knobs or screws actually worked themselves off, they'll be contained. I have memories of taking the camera out, and a knob would be loose in the bag.

    The problem of vibration can be significantly reduced with padding, and until someone hooks up a vibration meter of some kind, I am going to assume that it is all about the same, on the bike or in a pack on my back. And if I crash, having equipment on the bike is safer than on my back -- for me and the equipment. Some of the toughest vibrations will come from the inside ones car. The last ten or so miles of wash-board road into Eureka Valley in my van probably caused as much vibration to me and equipment than the 2000 miles on a bicycle in New Zealand! LOL! I keep the camera gear on the foam mattress, which helps.

    In NZ, there was fifteen km of the same kind of wash-board road down on the back side of Haast Pass...zooming down the pass on the loaded bicycle was intense. I had to keep a very loose grip on the handlebars or else my teeth would have shaken out. But the camera equipment was fine. As an after-thought that evening, perhaps letting a little air out of my tires for that downhill run might have helped.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  2. #42
    Japan Exposures
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    676

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Just look at the Ortlieb site, options plenty https://www.ortlieb.com/en/radtaschenzubehoer/

    4x5 should really be no problem at all. I am carrying 5x7 in a shoulder bag. 8x10 it gets more challenging.

    Actually, tripod might be the hardest to accommodate on a bike.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    171

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    One thing nice about placing the camera in a stuff sack (waterproof), is that if any knobs or screws actually worked themselves off, they'll be contained. I have memories of taking the camera out, and a knob would be loose in the bag.

    The problem of vibration can be significantly reduced with padding, and until someone hooks up a vibration meter of some kind, I am going to assume that it is all about the same, on the bike or in a pack on my back. And if I crash, having equipment on the bike is safer than on my back -- for me and the equipment. Some of the toughest vibrations will come from the inside ones car. The last ten or so miles of wash-board road into Eureka Valley in my van probably caused as much vibration to me and equipment than the 2000 miles on a bicycle in New Zealand! LOL! I keep the camera gear on the foam mattress, which helps.

    In NZ, there was fifteen km of the same kind of wash-board road down on the back side of Haast Pass...zooming down the pass on the loaded bicycle was intense. I had to keep a very loose grip on the handlebars or else my teeth would have shaken out. But the camera equipment was fine. As an after-thought that evening, perhaps letting a little air out of my tires for that downhill run might have helped.
    Thanks Vaughn! You have the coolest stories!

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    171

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Just look at the Ortlieb site, options plenty https://www.ortlieb.com/en/radtaschenzubehoer/

    4x5 should really be no problem at all. I am carrying 5x7 in a shoulder bag. 8x10 it gets more challenging.

    Actually, tripod might be the hardest to accommodate on a bike.

    Maybe this would be a solution...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arkel-gt-54-moss-tube-side-4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	161774
    An Arkel Pannier with a bag for tent poles which could possibly fit a tripod.

  5. #45
    Japan Exposures
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    676

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LWHXPIWQFT.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	161775

    I use this, Croozer Cargo trailer... very convenient

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    30

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    You said you had to watch out for loose screws every now and then...Did they come loose?
    Yes, on some cameras they did. What I did to isolate vibration, cheaply, was to buy second hand soft sided insulated lunch cooler sacks at thrift stores. You can get them the correct size for stashing 4x5 holders in, or even the whole camera. I received one from a project that I worked on that fit my speed graphic perfectly. I always carried my lenses in lens wraps, and then put them into a lunch cooler bag. With all the individual components in different cooler bags, is also protects the items from damaging one another. In the last photo in my previous post, you can see the top of a large sized lunch cooler loaded with film holders.

    Arkel makes good equipment. I used their bicycle brief case until it literally looked so bad I was ashamed to carry it into the office. I like the tent pole bag idea posted previously. That was the biggest problem for me, stowing and maneuvering around with the tripod on the bike. My little Bogen tripod wasn't too much trouble, but when I tried carrying a larger tripod for the 8x10, the problems of balance and attaching the tripod to the bike become more complicated.

    I also looked at the waterproof Ortlieb panniers, and thought they would be a good choice too. But in my experience if you have your equipment in lunch coolers which have a water proof lining, the water would have to get through the pannier, and then through the cooler bag. And Arkel sells rain covers for their panniers too if that were a concern. I never had any trouble, but I also avoided being out on my bike in potentially bad weather. Storms are nothing to play around in, especially being many miles away from the car or the house.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    30

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    I use this, Croozer Cargo trailer... very convenient
    That is another very good idea, if you stay on reasonably wide surfaces. It was surprising to me, how easy it is to pull a trailer with a bicycle. I bought one made for hauling dogs when my sweet girl became too lame to go on walks with me. She loved being able to go with me, and I found on paved streets, it was no trouble pulling 60 lbs of dog in the trailer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike Trailer.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	161780

    I also wanted to add this photo, which shows how compact the trailers can be, and also to show the rack that I used to carry the panniers on. The little JanDD bag shown on the rack was actually big enough to carry my speed graphic and a meter in. With the lens closed up safely in the camera, it was a convenient way to do a quick trip of hand holdable 4x5 shooting.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dog in trailer.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	161781
    Last edited by hporter; 24-Feb-2017 at 10:01. Reason: Add another photo

  8. #48
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    7,405

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    I have mentioned this before, but vibration-wise, the biggest problem I had was with exposed film sitting in a 4x5 box on the bike. A combination of high humidity and vibration caused high-humidity static discharges between the sheets of film in the box. Several negs ruined, some spot-able....instead of steaks of light, it was little dots. I should have padded inside the box to keep the film still.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Collinsville, CT USA
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Just look at the Ortlieb site, options plenty https://www.ortlieb.com/en/radtaschenzubehoer/

    4x5 should really be no problem at all. I am carrying 5x7 in a shoulder bag. 8x10 it gets more challenging.

    Actually, tripod might be the hardest to accommodate on a bike.
    I attached a large PVC pipe vertically to the side of the back wheel. Bottom had a glued end cap. inside padding glued on the bottom and glued around the inside top. Then a bungee cord attached to the side of the tube and used to hold down the tripod. Worked out fine, forgot it was even there the first time I used it... you have to remember it sticks up above the rear fender, I didn't.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    171

    Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LWHXPIWQFT.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	161775

    I use this, Croozer Cargo trailer... very convenient
    I did think about this also (the ibex trailer) but maybe when i have an 8x10.

Similar Threads

  1. Packing LF Gear on bicycle trailers
    By Colin Graham in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 20-Jul-2015, 22:17
  2. Packing 4x5 film
    By Mark_Se in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2009, 06:16
  3. Advice on packing
    By SVAGUY in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2008, 14:37
  4. bicycle camera and gear
    By Skip Abadie in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2007, 09:12
  5. Bicycle Sheds----a lost architecture?
    By John Kasaian in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2007, 13:26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •