Thread: Help-need an adapter or new plug to attach enlarger timer foot switch to control box

Help-need an adapter or new plug to attach enlarger timer foot switch to control box

I have a 4x5 Saunders LPL enlarger which has a foot switch which can be used with its timer. Does anyone know of an adapter or plug I can get to make them work as one? Some other option? See pictures.
    All assistances Is appreciated, especially since this is an area which I am seriously challenged.
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-02-11 11.54.51.jpg   2017-02-11 11.54.36.jpg   2017-02-11 11.54.22.jpg  

Re: Help-need an adapter or new plug to attach enlarger timer foot switch to control

I'm not getting what the problem is or configuration. Doesn't the footswitch normally plug into the timer?

Are you saying the foot switch has a phone cord on it instead of a LPL 3 contact plug? You could buy a plug from a specialty connector company on the internet. Or you could find out which 2 wires are active on the switch, perhaps by taking the switch apart. Then cut the wire and jam the two wires into the two holes on the sides of the foot switch socket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6260.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	161483
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Re: Help-need an adapter or new plug to attach enlarger timer foot switch to control

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I'm not getting what the problem is or configuration. Doesn't the footswitch normally plug into the timer?

Are you saying the foot switch has a phone cord on it instead of a LPL 3 contact plug? You could buy a plug from a specialty connector company on the internet. Or you could find out which 2 wires are active on the switch, perhaps by taking the switch apart. Then cut the wire and jam the two wires into the two holes on the sides of the foot switch socket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6260.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	161483
    yes, it has the phone cord connection. i think i need to get the male LPL 3 contact plug and splice it.
    That appears to be best. Thanks Jon.

Jon

I'm not sure how much current the phone cord can take or needs to take in this circuit. Maybe rewire the switch and hard wire it into your controller with lamp cord.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

The connector on the back of the timer is called a female 3 pin DIN... You would need a cord with a 3 pin DIN male connector, with one end cut off to solder to the switch inside if the footswitch... The switch inside the footswitch that would work would need to be NO (normally open) and would make contact when depressed to work with the timer...

Most of the 3 pin timer connectors are wired to have 1 common pin (that one or the other pins would switch closed to) that would either allow the focus light to go on, or to start the timer... My guess is the center pin is common, so you can try a wire jumper across 2 of the 3 pins to see what starts the timer running... The voltage is usually low on the switching (24V?), as these operate the relay... It usually shouldn't burn out anything if you switch wrong, but try to find someone to help you who knows a little electrical, but not really that hard for someone...

Your footswitch has only one switch, so if you wanted to have focus + timer start feature, you would need a 2nd footswitch (very handy!!!)...

If you can't get the timer connector to work, one could also wire a 2 conductor to NO footswitch by making the 2 wires to jump/close across the timer start button connectors for timer start, and (get some help) another 2 wire to NO footswitch jumping across the focus switch terminals for focusing, and run the wires out of the box through a hole somewhere...

I hope this does not sound complicated, but very easy for a techie...

Good Luck!!!

Steve K