Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LF Gathering: Alabama Hills, CA May 5-7, 2017

LF Gathering: Alabama Hills, CA May 5-7, 2017

Here we go three years in a row!

WHO: Large format photographers

WHAT: Photography gathering: making pictures, telling lies, drinking wine, beer, and/or other fine elixirs.

WHERE: Alabama Hills, CA.

WHEN: May 5-7, 2017

OTHER: Bring your own cameras, film, tripods, etc. Make your own food, travel, and sleeping arrangements.

Back by request: Since we had a little bit of trouble finding everyone last year, we figured the Tuttle Creek Campground would prove to be a good base station from which to meet. Organizing the Alabama Hills and Joshua Tree gatherings can be a bit of a logistical hassle, as campsite situations change with little notice and there is very limited cellphone coverage (It seems that every year, there are people that cannot locate us, this includes international visitors). So, while not our favorite place to camp, we think it provides the best opportunity for us to meet and organize, which is always a fun part of why we set these events up.

The Tuttle Creek Campground is a BLM campground located just south of Alabama Hills off Tuttle Creek Rd, and about 4.5 miles SW of Lone Pine, CA.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tu...8e9dede5fa9018

GPS: 36° 33.902'N, 118° 7.527'W

Cost per site is $5/night, First come, first served

Official Website appears to be down.

As usual, I will try to be there early to set up camp and will update the thread providing campsite information for those that may arrive later. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I look forward to seeing you all there.

-Daniel
    Daniel Perez
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/largeformatguy/
    Your photography is a record of your living, for anyone who really sees. - Paul Strand

Re: LF Gathering: Alabama Hills, CA May 5-7, 2017

Thumbs up! I am hoping to go as well. I should be able to.

R/
    Dave

Cool Dave, looking forward to seeing you out there. See you then.
    Daniel Perez
    Your photography is a record of your living, for anyone who really sees. - Paul Strand

Daniel - Sorry to say I will miss this one...we will be on the train to the Grand Canyon. Here's to nice clouds and no wind. Joe

I'll miss the May date also...I am delaying my departure for the Hills a few days ...probably Wednesday...due to weather and road conditions, and I am changing the direction of travel. I'll hit Death Valley from the south (thru Mojave), then try Death Valley Road north out of Death Valley itself over to Eureka Valley and out Big Pine. If all that is possible, then I am looking at Alabama Hills around March 5th. The Scotty Castle Road is still closed, but it is open from the south up to Ubehebe Craters and northward on Death Valley Road. Titus Canyon and Artist Drive are both closed, but there are some un-named canyons I want to check out...energy permitting!

While I have to the Alabama Hills many times over the years, I have been checking the place out on Goggle Earth and see a couple of places that look interesting. We'll see what my Eurovan can do!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Vaughn,

No worries, we will just have to set up a gathering in your neck of the woods sometime this year. I'll check in with you later about you availability. Have fun on your trip.

-Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I'll miss the May date also...I am delaying my departure for the Hills a few days ...probably Wednesday...due to weather and road conditions, and I am changing the direction of travel. I'll hit Death Valley from the south (thru Mojave), then try Death Valley Road north out of Death Valley itself over to Eureka Valley and out Big Pine. If all that is possible, then I am looking at Alabama Hills around March 5th. The Scotty Castle Road is still closed, but it is open from the south up to Ubehebe Craters and northward on Death Valley Road. Titus Canyon and Artist Drive are both closed, but there are some un-named canyons I want to check out...energy permitting!

While I have to the Alabama Hills many times over the years, I have been checking the place out on Goggle Earth and see a couple of places that look interesting. We'll see what my Eurovan can do!
    Daniel Perez

I have delayed my trip a few more days due to weather. I probably will not be in the Alabama Hills until March 5th give or take a few days, as I will hit Death valley first.

I would love to help organize a photo trip up in my neck of the woods. October is a great month for the redwoods.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Will be in the area for trout opener so should make it to the gathering.

I wish I could go. I'm planning on being there next Christmas break... fingers crossed.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

If we do something up vaughns way June and I can be there. October is a great month normally. We will be in the Alabama hills on the 21st or 22nd of March on our way back from the group show in Huntington Beach. That show is on Friday the 17th of March.