Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking a Sinar Norma 8x10 Camera

Backpacking a Sinar Norma 8x10 Camera

Last year, I picked up a Sinar Norma 8x10 kit at a Kent, Wa. swap meet. My initial intent was to turn this kit over for a profit. But the more I became familiar with a Norma and its accessories, the more I liked the system.

Having always preferred a rail camera, it would be nice to backpack my Norma 8x10. But, the 12” base rail typically used with all Norma formats makes this pretty much impossible. It’s no surprise that the 6” rail on its own is too short. So, I experimented with different strategies, one of which involved a backpack, carrying the camera in one hand using a case, and carrying my tripod in the other. No go, though; too clumsy. (Etc.)

Then about two weeks ago, I stumbled on an EBay listing that involved a customization to “lengthen” a standard Sinar 6” rail. While the EBay example involved machining, it gave me an idea as to how one could more simply accomplish the same goal. The photographs illustrate how this can be put together.

Photo A: Shows parts in the order of assembly for both the 6” rail and the cap.

Photo B: See steps below . . .

>> For the rail, insert the large nut over the screw inside the rail. The nut should be large enough to encircle the nut interior to the rail, and it should be thick enough to extend beyond the interior nut.

>> Add the fender washer over the large nut.

>> Tighten the 6mm (metric diameter) extender enough so that the red knob won’t turn, when adding Sinar rail extensions to the opposite end. Since all the parts involved are metal, I made this quite tight.

>> Screw in the 1”, 6mm metric bolt into the extender. (I cut this to size from a larger bolt.)

>> As for the cap, screw the 6mm (metric diameter) extender over the cap's interior, threaded bolt. I made it snug, but not tight. Otherwise, it could break the black plastic end piece.

>> This photo shows an additional wood piece that I made, plus the cap. A guide is needed to screw the two finished parts together in Photo B. I made this guide by sanding down a 1.5 diameter, 1 5/8 long dowel down to a diameter that would fit snugly in both the rail and the cap. The center hole has just the diameter needed to fit loosely over the extenders.

Photo C: Screw the three parts together, and one has rail that’s just long enough to backpack a Norma 8x10 camera. This rail is 8 3/8” long.

Photo D: Adding a second end cap to the red knob makes it 9 inches total. I usually leave it off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Consruct_A.jpg   Consruct_B.jpg   Construct_C.jpg   Construct_D.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 16-Feb-2017 at 08:52.

Re: Backpacking a Sinar Normal 8x10 Camera

The photo below shows the end result. (Sans one end cap.)

The dimensions of the camera with the extended 6” rail are 13” side to side, 15” long, and 9” thick. Achieving the 15” length involves loosening and turning the clamp by 45 degrees. I can easily fit this into my somewhat oversized backpack and still have room left for four lenses, some accessories, and film. My pack has an additional compartment on the lid where I can pack the film.

All in all, the addition of the 8 3/8" rail makes this quite a suitable system for field photography. For one thing, a Norma 8x10 is a very capable camera. I have the bag bellows. So any lens that that covers 8x10 (or smaller formats) can be used with this camera. I have both the 4x5 and 5x7 reduction backs that can come in handy. I can also purchase vertical extensions for the front standard that will give me an additional 6" of rise!

The camera is surprisingly light. Most metal rail 8x10 cameras can weigh upwards of 17 or 18 lbs, or more. What you see in the photo weighs a tad less than 13lbs, including the quick release plate for the Manfrotto hexagonal system. My Feisol 3372 CF tripod and Manfrotto 3039 head can easily manage this camera.

Camera setup takes about a minute. It’s a matter of removing the camera from the backpack, setting it on the tripod, and adding whatever additional rail is needed. Recall that the red rail knob won’t turn, so additional rail lengths can be easily added.

I've decided that this camera is definitely a keeper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 16-Feb-2017 at 08:37.

Re: Backpacking a Sinar Norma 8x10 Camera

Yes, a good idea.

The usual Sinar packaging in the Sinar suitcases are absolutely not suitable for field transport, but a short rail with the standards and mount makes sense.

I think that in part, as a result of its lack of portability, people are unaware of the versatility and quality of this camera. It has struck me as kind of a sleeper.

Here's how I folded up my 8x10 Sinar Norma to carry inside a f64 backpack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails colapsedSinar.jpg  

Neil,

I don't "get" it. What is the premise? And what exactly is the solution in general terms? (not the construction details)

Seems to me that an 8" rail is going to be very limiting, especially for an 8x10 camera. But I have a feeling I'm missing a key element here.

Pete Oakley

You can always carry an extension rail in your backpack. They don't weigh a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    ...Seems to me that an 8" rail is going to be very limiting, especially for an 8x10 camera...
    Will, look again at Neil's post #2:
    Camera setup takes about a minute. It’s a matter of removing the camera from the backpack, setting it on the tripod, and adding whatever additional rail is needed. Recall that the red rail knob won’t turn, so additional rail lengths can be easily added.

I have a Gowland PocketView 4x5...a lightweight rail camera. It's rail comes apart in the middle (two 6" sections), and by loosening the swings, one can fold it nice and flat -- a different method than Greg's , but a similar result. Having the standards stay on the rail(s) does quicken set-up. I take off the lens as it might break the GG.

But backpacking with an 8x10 is out of my league (but I have a friend with burros...so we'll see!) I have a 5x7 Norma that I have not even set-up yet. I have backpacked with an 100+ yr old Kodak 5x7, but I miss the movements and the solidity of a good field camera. I'll think about the Norma's backpack capabilities when I use it on my upcoming car-camping photo trip. I have carried the 4x5 and the 5x7 into the wilderness on the tripod over my shoulder -- and in the pack on the way out. Solo hiking means one has to carry everything that is usually shared by two (or more), and there is not enough room for a LF camera in my pack on the way in. I can usually sneak the Rolleicord into my pack, though.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    . . . I'll think about the Norma's backpack capabilities when I use it on my upcoming car-camping photo trip. I have carried the 4x5 and the 5x7 into the wilderness on the tripod over my shoulder . . .
    Vaughn,

This "longer" rail is needed for 8x10, given that camera's extra thickness. But, I have a shorter rail (6 3/4") that has a similar construction. (See photo below.) If it's long enough, it makes for a smaller package, and it has the same ease of setup.

In the same way, it's based on the 6" Sinar short rail. But instead of the end cap used above that extends the length, I instead inserted one of the older black plastic or rubber end caps intended for the old base rails that accepts extensions only on one side.

Also similarly to the "longer" rail above, one can use the same large nut, fender washer, and a 6mm metric nut (not the extender) to tighten the red knob on the opposite end of the shorter rail. (Adding extensions to the shorter rail's red knob is going to be problematic, if it's permitted to turn freely.)

Of course, you would have the Norma 4x5 or 5x7 rear standard, versus the Sinar F rear standard that I'm using on this camera.

By the way, backpacking with an 8x10 is easy. It's just a matter of avoiding hills.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: The old style end caps are hard to find. I've also made my own end caps by using about a half-inch length of dowel with about a 3/8" hole cut in the center. The diameter should enable the dowel to fit snugly inside the end of the 6" rail. I glued a wooded disk (painted black, and purchased at a crafts store) of a little larger diameter on the end of this dowel to make the cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Folded.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 9-Nov-2019 at 11:32.