Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Backpacking a Sinar Norma 8x10 Camera

Re: Backpacking a Sinar Norma 8x10 Camera

Have friends with a strong back to help carry the gear The camera on one person the film hoers with another and the tripod by a third. A fourth with experience in pain relieving massage is also a good idea. Make it a fun outing and share the beauty.

8x10 Sinar Norma Julius Shulman Titlall Setup 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Keeping on topic (OK this isn't backpacking) but here is my answer to location urban big format photography. Modified original model Leitz Tiltall modded to fit the Norma Tripod Clamp. I leave this permanently attached and pop open the clamp to change different Normas out. This one is my 8x10 Norma with 8x10 Norma Sinarsix and Norma 121mm f8 Super Angulon Compur Shutter with aperture automation. Notice the Norma 8x10 Bag Bellows on the back, with the Norma Monocular. My preference and it works for me

I can easily lift this with one arm, with a soft bag of Norma 18x24cm XRay film holders I am all set. This lens covers 18x24cm but not much more. My Kodak Mammo film is 18x24 so ready to go no cutting
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

But then, without hills, how do you see over anything unless you build a hill of your own, or have a portable one? Maybe a car roof platform? I was once in Dallas on a business trip and got literally claustrophobic, sweaty palms n' all, because there were no mountains in sight - just empty space. Tall buildings didn't help; the view of "nothingness" from them just made it worse. First time in my life I'd ever been somewhere like that. Here our extensive flat farmlands are bounded by mountains every direction, not always visible due to summer smog or winter ground fog; but you don't have to drive too far until that changes. From the ridges behind me two days ago, I could see all the way to the snowcapped Sierras. Early snows are mighty welcome in these forest-fire prone times.

When I lived in the center of Denver I had a lovely view of the rockies right over the toaster through my kitchen window. Air quality was crappy I remember. When I revisited Denver it was like going home. Everywhere you look is amazing view camera material it seemed. But my family is here and I have roots here. Parts of the state of Ohio can be photogenic but it can be hard work. In Colorado I've only been as far south as Great Sand Dunes NM, which I was told was fifty miles north of Taos
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 3-Nov-2021 at 04:23.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Hill County Texas is damn nice
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

First time I ever flew east, and flew over Denver, that was the beginning of the end of the world as I knew it - Flat Earth Society all the way until the little wrinkles of the Appalachians, although farm land patterns and the Missouri River Gorge from the air are interesting. I'd still like to drive over the high plains sometime. But I grew up with a view of the second deepest canyon on the continent, and a darn steep one, so just took that as the norm. The very deepest, the Middle Fork of the Kings, was just to the south a little ways, though you can't drive to it, or even get a horse into major portions of it.

And yes, Randy, friends in Austin tell me that Texas does have some nice "hill country"; but I was under the impression that Austin and its opinions have been excised from the Republic of Texas and balance of the Confederacy. And real hills don't have Freeways and Interstates. Still, if I were in the area, I'd swing by. The furthest east I've actually driven is across New Mexico. Texans might think they are part of the West, but they're not. Need some real wrinkles in the topography to be that.