Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for Bar Harbor Maine

Ideas for Bar Harbor Maine

Chuck, Boothbay is also a great place for scenic pictures. I have lived in Central Maine, and Bangor all my life. Email me if you would like some nice day trips. I live about 45 min from Bar Harbor. You have gotten some great recomendations so far, but you need to keep one thing in mind, on the coast, FOG! If you get fogged in head inland in the morning. Louie has given you some good coastal towns also. The trip to Acadia is worth the drive East From Boothbay. 2 hours East. Also when you get on the Island take a left and go down toward Seal cove, SouthWest Harbor area instead of the tourist trap area of Bar Harbor itself. Although the Park loop road is one of the nicest areas in the country. I still go there several times a year since I can remember. There are plenty of senic areas all along the coast. 1) You will need a Delorme atlas. 2) As stated above the coast has alot of coves and sometimes it may take you a couple hours to go a short distance East, but you will find plenty of quaint little old fishing villages along the way! In the front of the atlas there is also a list of scenic areas. Don't be afraid to go inland and spend a day or two in the Nothern Woods area. Millinocket, area along the Penobscot River, or there are a few short 1/2 mile hikes around the Bingham area for Water falls, Moosehead lake region, Carrabasset Valley near Sugerloaf sky area. These are just a few ideas in case the fog is heavey on the coast? You never know; about a 3 or 4 hour drive North from where you are staying. Don't Stop at any Resteraunts Along Route 1, they all rip off the tourist!
    You will not be dissipointed. I have lived here all my life of 43 years. My parents took me everywhere as a kid and I am still finding more place to shoot everytime I go out!
    Have Fun,
    Dan

Thanks, Dan, Bob, John, Bruce and Louie for some great information. I am going to start doing the research so I can plan some trips. I will e-mail you Dan off line to get some ideas for day trips.

Thanks again for all the help...Chuck

There is a photographer near Bar Harbor you could probably meet up with - Annie Higbee - she can suck the chrome off your bumper if you know what I mean.

Thanks Dan, you are a wealth of information, maybe I should try and meet Annie?

I have kept a map of Acadia hanging by my desk since I spent a week photographing there a few years ago.

Ditto to all the suggestions you have so far. All that's missing is the Wonderland trail and the Ship Harbor Nature Trail; these are at the far southern end of the island near Bass Harbor. Both of these trails are an easy hike with a 4x5, and there's lots of interesting stuff to shoot. I visited these places at mid-day and late afternoon and the light was good; don't know what early morning would be like.

You could always hire her as a consultant, your boss would love that ;-)

Sorry, about the left when you get on the Island,,,Wrong way take your other left,,,, or stay right when you go over the Bridge. That will take you down toward where Bob is saying, Southwest, Bass Harbor, Seal Cove!

Sorry, ,,,"YOU can't get there from here",,,,LOL

Love Bar Harbor - I spent my summers as a youth just south of it on Great Cranberry Island. Go south to North East Harbor - take the mail ferry to the Cranberry Isles. Great Cranberry is a nice fishing island with pretty coves (mostly public). Little Cranberry (Ilsford) has nice galleries, and some decent restaraunts on it.

Bass Head Light is not far either, a pretty/craggy but accessible lighthouse. It's a postcard, but a lovely one.

Re: Ideas for Bar Harbor Maine

Because of my job, I travel a lot and have already discovered the best places in Europe. However, I must warn you that Europeans do not live like Americans and never work late. In Germany, for example, it's quiet until 9 p.m., and you won't find a single establishment open, and even a car on the road will be rare. Nevertheless, I liked the restaurant füssen. If you are here, be sure to visit it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post a list of places here.
    Last edited by NaletDaskon; 22-Aug-2022 at 02:08.