Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI head conversion to LED

Zone VI head conversion to LED

I finally gave up on my T2 Zone VI enlarging head. It had a wildly uneven illumination field- and different contrasts within that field. Tube trouble, I'm sure. I first tried using an Aristo head with it, but the exposure times ran so long that it was a constant frustration. Modern Enlarger Lamps had made me an LED head for an Omega E6 chassis. That worked fine, in fact, was the best I had ever printed with. I took to just physically placing the light unit on top of the Z6 negative carrier for couple of big projects but hated moving the head back and forth. Modern Enlarger Lamps quit building 5X7 units.

I finally took all the parts out of the Z6 head except the light sensor and am building, (with help), a new illumination grid to put in it using the same LEDs that are in the MEL unit.

(If anyone is interested the Z6 guts, minus the light sensor, please IM me.)

Going to end up with a 7X11 1/2 inch lighting grid and new mixing box in the Z6 head. Hoping for a bright 5X7 illumination field of the correct color temp for under the lens filters on multigrade paper. The Z6 is an XL and it's the only chassis I have that will make a 20X24 off a 5X7 negative.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6374 (1).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	161053

Photographer

Re: Zone VI head conversion to LED

I'm interested in your project. I hope you'll update this when you have the new unit up and operating.
    Keith Pitman

Eric Biggerstaff

Like you I love my E6 MEL unit, it is terrific. I hope your projects goes well, keep us posted.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I just picked up two type 2 units. Both XL columns. One is the 8x10 rig with a VC head. I've completed a 12 step program on giving up 5x7 I've been clean for about 8 years. I want to use the 8x10 setup. I have Beseler 45 stuff for everything else.
    I've heard good and bad about the 8x10 VC head. I wish you luck. I wish I had the disposable income, I would love to have a Heiland head for my Beseler with the VC and color modules.
    I will be watching, very interested. Just so I don't get hooked on 5x7 again. For some reason I kept all my 5x7 processing equipment? ??
    Best Regards Mike

I just joined you. Picked up a Z6 8X10. Anticipating replacing the guts in it with LEDs as well. Plus I hear they are wobbly. Going to have to stabilize and anchor the column.

Be nice to be able to enlarge 8X10 though....I think.

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	161758

I use 4x5 Durst Laborator Ce1000 with a Durst CLS450 color head. While back adapted a 6x6 inch bank of LEDs (with a lot of diffusion) as a new head to try that would allow me to raise the head higher than with the very tall and boxy color head.. The LED unit had a " variable temperature" control. I was hoping that this would give me some variable contrast lighting. It didn't. Had to result to using VC filters below the lens and these did effect image sharpness by the slightest bit but too much for me to accept. So had some large acetate? VC filters that I could use above the film. These worked but changing them was a pain in the neck with the way I adapted the LED panel. Finally just switched back to the Durst CLS450 and using it for variable contrast and constructed a baseboard that could be lowered. Didn't want to go this route cause I would loose the "perfect" alignment of the Durst. In the end I'm sure I lost some alignment but in practice not enough to matter... just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    I just joined you. Picked up a Z6 8X10. Anticipating replacing the guts in it with LEDs as well. Plus I hear they are wobbly. Going to have to stabilize and anchor the column.

Be nice to be able to enlarge 8X10 though....I think.

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	161758
    Did you get a whole different enlarger or just the 8x10 conversion parts? Mine will jiggle if you bump it but it quiets right down. As long as you are on a solid floor probably be OK. I was going to put up a couple of guy wires with turn buckles but I think its not needed. I've got mine screwed to the bench and to studs in the wall. I've got a friend who's a whiz kid at CAD software, he's going to try to get me a couple lensboards made. The lensboards are hard as heck to find. SK Grimes want $95 plus shipping for a nice drilled board, seems very fair. If I can get a couple of blanks I can cut the hole for the lens. It's not like Beseler where you can buy them for 5 bucks now and then.
    One thing that is great compared to using a dichro head..... It's so quiet, I'm going to get my Radio going again.
    Best Mike

Just got the Z6 8X10 enlarger in. The weight wire is kaput, so that's got to be sorted out. It's the cold light but not variable MG light head. That gives me a little hope that it might throw an acceptable light field. Came with lens board and negative carrier. We'll see. I think my Nikon 210 orSchneider 240 ought to fit the flange that came with it. First I have to get the wire replaced. Going to at least guy-wire the column for a little more stability.

Gray Matter Images

Hey Guys,
    I have type 2 lens boards with with 50mm and 70mm holes, water jet cut out of aluminum. PM me for info. I picked up a Z6 810 enlarger last year and would like the ability to convert it to a 5x7 when needed. Robert, I'm interested in your LED conversion. At the moment I'm planning on fabricating my own 5x7 light housing with possibly an integral filter drawer.
    I dream in color and see in black and white.
    http://www.graymatterimages.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Just got the Z6 8X10 enlarger in. The weight wire is kaput, so that's got to be sorted out. It's the cold light but not variable MG light head. That gives me a little hope that it might throw an acceptable light field. Came with lens board and negative carrier. We'll see. I think my Nikon 210 orSchneider 240 ought to fit the flange that came with it. First I have to get the wire replaced. Going to at least guy-wire the column for a little more stability.
    The cables are a weak point, you can fabricate out of garage door hardware. Let me know if you need dimensions, I can measure mine
    Mike