Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 20x24 lenses

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

20x24 lenses

Ole- Apo-Tessars out, regular and Aero, maybe... Thank you!

John- Thanks, you just saved me $150; I was thinking of ordering the 530mm Ektanon.

Dan- Yes, I've heard the Aero Tessars/Ektars were made for 9x9 and 9x18, but then the Nikkor-M 450mm is for 8x10 with a rated coverage of 440mm. I may end up springing for the Nikkor or Fujinon, but I'll grumble about it for years...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Lachlan 717

Re: 20x24 lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    An older thread, but I just got a 21 inch Eastman Anastigmat f/10 lens and measured the image circle at 32 inches diameter. It covers 20x24, but the corners would be fuzzy if movements were applied. Closer subjects would be perfectly fine. Coverage did not improve stopped down, but corner sharpness seemed to a little.
    Does your copy have the reversed lettering inside the barrel ring?

I had no idea that their coverage was so significant!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Okay, it wasn't exactly what I set out to do, but it happened. I bought a 300mm Astragon in a very nice Copal 3 for my 8x10 for $150. Not too bad, right? Here's the problem- it came with a partially finished 20x24 camera...

To make it all work, I'd need to build a back, a bed, and a couple of filmholders. It's a lot of work, but I can do that. But what to do for a lens?...
    Sort of an update, a friend has that bellows now. But I ended up with a 16-inch Globe lens, so I'm building a whole new mammoth plate camera around it. And in the middle of building it, I fell into a 1-meter Voigtlander/Petzval Orthoscop. And I have a few others that will cover. Still gotta make a wet plate silver tank...

Oh, what 14 years will do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c34s.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

the image circle at 32 inches diameter. It covers 20x24, but the corners would be fuzzy if movements were applied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    IMHO the "image circle" term is a bit ambiguous, we have the illumination "image circle" and the good quality "image circle". I'd say that in LF "image circle" is often used to say the good quality "image circle", or coverage.

"Coverage" usually improves when stopping a LF lens, this is the good quality "image circle" grows.

In "simple" lenses there is a big difference, I've just tested my Symmar converted to 620mm and the half plasmat illuminated beyond 70º, while manufacturer stated a 45º coverage. Not a surprise that the illumination is beyond 70º, because the front half lens has to catch at least those 70º to be deliverered to the rear half lens, which also sees 70º...

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    IMHO the "image circle" term is a bit ambiguous, we have the illumination "image circle" and the good quality "image circle". I'd say that in LF "image circle" is often used to say the good quality "image circle", or coverage.

"Coverage" usually improves when stopping a LF lens, this is the good quality "image circle" grows.

In "simple" lenses there is a big difference, I've just tested my Symmar converted to 620mm and the half plasmat illuminated beyond 70º, while manufacturer stated a 45º coverage. Not a surprise that the illumination is beyond 70º, because the front half lens has to catch at least those 70º to be deliverered to the rear half lens, which also sees 70º...
    Mansplaining to men. Interesting development of the concept.
    Lachlan.

the concept.
    Those concepts had (and have) some controversy... Following some wrong commercial translations from German some people started mixing angle of view and coverage, etc... The right concepts and definitions are in The Camera, Ansel Adams was pretty clear.

In this list https://www.largeformatphotography.i...s/LF4x5in.html "Image Circle" is used as the good quality "Image Circle", or nominal Coverage, I think this is the best convention for LF, but I'd say that in smaller formats "Image Circle" it's often referred as the illumination circle, adding controversy. In small formats movements are not frequent at all, so no problem if what it is said it's not clear.

Is there a difference with reversed lettering, besides I can't read it?

I have one.

Does your copy have the reversed lettering inside the barrel ring?

Tin Can

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Is there a difference with reversed lettering, besides I can't read it?

I have one.
    No idea, Randy. Mine’s reversed.

Haven’t mounted it yet, but might be a good substitute for my Nikkor 450mm that is a bit too close to my Claron 355mm on 7x17.

Perhaps the subject of a new thread, though.
    Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

You love to hear yourself talk, don’t you?

Lachlan, there aren’t any reversed letters. I projected the image onto a 4x4 foot ground glass and measured the projected circle. It has a fairly sharp cutoff of illumination. The last inch of the image circle on either side is less defined than the rest, so like the comments by Sandy about the 450mm Nikkor M, it will cover but the corners will suffer a little in sharpness. Stopping down helped a little with sharpening the corners, but the image circle itself did not get larger. It gives roughly the same perspective as a 210mm lens on 8x10. I wanted a shorter lens for portraits so I didn’t have to stretch my bellows out all the way.
    Thanks, Greg.

Some might argue, but this sort of “feet on the ground” information seems much more compelling than theoretical pontifications....
    Lachlan.

You love to hear yourself talk, don’t you?
    Yes, me too!

But I also love sufficient technical accuracy in the wording when speaking about technical specs. This is not mandatory, of course, it's a personal decision. More or less what you say can be understood from the context, so no problem...