Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Processing 11x14 Film

Processing 11x14 Film

Other than Tray processing, how do most of you process 11x14 film? I process sheet film from 4x5 o 8x10 in 1 gal stainless tanks, but don't have tanks or hangers for 11x14. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Luis

Re: Processing 11x14 Film

I use a 11x14 print drum and a Unicolor roller to develop one sheet of 11x14 film.

some jobo tank (it came w/o the big long tube in the middle - and I wrecked about 4 sheets before I figured out - THERE IS A HOLE where light can enter the tank... and put a rubber stopper in it) and a Beseler motor roller base

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    some jobo tank (it came w/o the big long tube in the middle - and I wrecked about 4 sheets before I figured out - THERE IS A HOLE where light can enter the tank... and put a rubber stopper in it) and a Beseler motor roller base
    The lids on Jobo tanks/drums come with either a light trap when used with center column (big long tube) or a cup when used as a print drum. If you wish to use a drum for sheet film it is best to use a lid with a cup, the light trap and cup are interchangeable as they just twist off.

I use a jobo tank for this.

Jobo 3062/3063. Yes, unfortunately they've become very expensive.

Eric Woodbury

I know nothing of 11x14, but looks as though could make a BTZS-type tube from 4" ABS materials. Pretty cheap, except those end caps. Or just use an open tube and roll them in a tray of developer (in the dark). I'm using these for 4x5, 5x7, and soon 8x10. Best. --EW--

@Oren:

Can you tell me how you do it? Two sheets in the 3062? I've had great success with a 2000 series Jobo setup doing 11x14 and 14x17 one sheet at a time but when doing 2 sheets of 11x14 in the 3062 the result isn't always the best - especially with Pyro developers that get all sorts of nasty lines from the ribs in the tank. Rodinal seems to be better for sure. I'm experimenting a bit with creating inserts that protect the film from the ribs.

Best, Angus
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Jobo 3062/3063. Yes, unfortunately they've become very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dake View Post
    The lids on Jobo tanks/drums come with either a light trap when used with center column (big long tube) or a cup when used as a print drum. If you wish to use a drum for sheet film it is best to use a lid with a cup, the light trap and cup are interchangeable as they just twist off.
    Relatively easy to find the cup versus hole attachments and easy to swap out if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Can you tell me how you do it? Two sheets in the 3062? I've had great success with a 2000 series Jobo setup doing 11x14 and 14x17 one sheet at a time but when doing 2 sheets of 11x14 in the 3062 the result isn't always the best - especially with Pyro developers that get all sorts of nasty lines from the ribs in the tank. Rodinal seems to be better for sure. I'm experimenting a bit with creating inserts that protect the film from the ribs.
    Afraid I don't have a fix for you. But I'm glad you brought this up because it's a necessary clarification. I've used the 3062 and 3063 successfully only with standard developers like D-76 - I've never used a pyro developer. But others who have tried with pyro developers have reported the same sort of trouble that you've seen with marks from the ribs.