Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wet plate photography

wet plate photography

View Camera magazine is planning a workshop in wet plate photography in late October. We will do this with Rob Gibson (who was featured in our May issue and at the recent conference.

The workshop will take place at least partially over a weekend.

steve simmons

wet plate photography

Whereabouts?

wet plate photography

Steve,

I am curious why you chose Rob Gibson--whose work is completely reenactment-based--to teach this class, rather then someone like Mark and France Osterman, who have been much more involved in teaching and popularizing wet-plate and have a significant presence in the gallery circuit?

wet plate photography

What a waste of time and effort. Some processes are better left in the forgotten past. Or do you just enjoy sniffing collodian?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

wet plate photography

Rob did a terrific presentation at our conference and was one of the real hits of the weekend. This workshop would be in Gettysburg, PA.

steve simmons

Terence

wet plate photography

Before the thread gets too negative I'd like to say I think it's a great idea. Personally, I'd like to see the process the way it was used historically, but maybe there could be a follow-up seminar with the Ostermans. As for "dead" processes, there are many amongst the digiterati who would say that "silver" processes fall into that category. I think it's great that Steve is putting together a seminar that helps spread the word on non-digital processes. With seemingly bad news every other day about our favorite film producers maybe more of us should be looking at "alternative" processes the way people are heading toward "alternative" fuels.

wet plate photography

"This workshop would be in Gettysburg, PA"

Now you've got my attention. Gettysburg's less than 1 hour from my house. Any idea yet of the cost?

I've recently seen some very large prints from enlarged wet plate collodian negs by Tom Baril and Paul Taylor and they are magnificent. Around 40" x 50" and absolutely grainless with a unique solidity of tone which is indescribable in words.

I would very much like to see this process in action; so much so in fact that not only am I willing to waste my time seeing it, but will pay for the privilege as well.

wet plate photography

I personally am glad the Bill has so graciously notified me that I am wasting my time working with wet plate. Little did I realize that I needed his approval. I would appreciate it if you (Bill) can submit a list of approved processes. This would be of great service to all of us unenlightened photo mouth breathers. Specially, should I stop shooting my 8x10 camera, medium format, Xpan (all b/w)?

To the rest of the people who are interested in this process, I would encourage you to try to attend this or any workshop by a skilled practitioner if you would like to try wet plate collodion. The process is pretty straight forward, but there is a lot of procedure that is best learned by watching the actual practice by someone who knows what they are doing.

I learned from a re-enctment photographer (Will Dunniway) and have absolutely no interest in doing that type of image, but it was a great experience.

wet plate photography

When/how much would it be?

wet plate photography

Sorry if I sounded negative, mostly just curious.