Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Jollylook - The First Cardboard Vintage Instant Camera!

Re: Jollylook - The First Cardboard Vintage Instant Camera!

Anyone ever receive theirs? Thought they were shipping soon?

Nothing yet.

Last update on 12/10/2018 says they'll start shipping in December and finish in March 2019.

So, apparently shipping had not started when that was posted on the 10th and they couldn't even give a date certain ... even though they were estimating it would start within the next 3 weeks ... I'm not holding my breath.

And, it sounds like they will need to sell some of the first batches to pay some shipping costs ... and since their shipping from the Ukraine, I'm thinking us Western Hemisphere pledgers, with our higher shipping costs will be last on the list.

About time for them to post a new update.

What's not clear is if Jollylook is sending every one that already has a broken from day 1 replacement

Which I believe is 100% of entire first run

Or are they only replacing the ones that have complained

Jolly is not clear on replacement policy

I started this thread, so it's all my fault...
    Tin Can

Yes, they did say they were going send some to distributors first. But they haven't mentioned that since and that was a long time ago (or did I stop reading every update carefully?) so I wasn't sure. I'm not holding my breath either. I wrote that camera off like a year ago. lol.

But then again, I did end up receiving a Wanderlust Travelwide eventually. Hahahaha.

This is my 4th time backing a KS campaign, I cannot see backing another. Seems like an almost universal trait of project creators is little to no communication with backers.
    I too backed the Travelwide. The focusing on mine never worked right and after 6 months or so, not at all.
    For what it is worth, I don't think most of the folks who do these projects are crooks, they just get in over their heads.
    After seeing the photo posted by Randy Mo I also have a bad feeling that the film development unit (the only part I really wanted) is just a poor design.
    After this last campaign the only 'donation' I'll make is to the homeless guy holding a sign that reads; "I won't lie, I want beer"

For anyone here interested or who backed this:
    I e-mailed Jollylook directly on 1/30/19 about the lack of updates and they finally replied. In part this was their reply;

"Since we moved the production to Ukraine, we have been working on improving the quality of the cameras.
    We are working very hard to complete them as soon as possible and start delivering the rewards to all backers by the end of March 2019.
    We will post a new update as soon as we start the deliveries."

So, it appears they are still having problems with defective units and the update of December 10th where they stated "...we will start shipping in December and plan to ship all cameras to backers by March 2019..." has now slipped (yet again) by at least two months.

I thanked them and replied that my e-mail was not about the delay but about the lack of updates. I also told them they could not wait until they start deliveries to post an update and need to post and update every week (even if there is no news) out of respect for backers.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    This is my 4th time backing a KS campaign, I cannot see backing another. Seems like an almost universal trait of project creators is little to no communication with backers.
    I too backed the Travelwide. The focusing on mine never worked right and after 6 months or so, not at all.
    For what it is worth, I don't think most of the folks who do these projects are crooks, they just get in over their heads.
    After seeing the photo posted by Randy Mo I also have a bad feeling that the film development unit (the only part I really wanted) is just a poor design.
    After this last campaign the only 'donation' I'll make is to the homeless guy holding a sign that reads; "I won't lie, I want beer"
    My Travelwide worked fine for a couple of years...until the helicoid broke. Works fine as a pinhole camera now... The only other project I backed was New55. Happy to hear it's coming back.

The design was correct, the materials and manufacture were not.

I will back more KS as it is fun to watch something happen, even if it is failure.

Albert Einstein had many failures, read his thoughts on trying, https://motivationgrid.com/21-inspir...bert-einstein/

Or join the crowd, "We've gotta protect our phony baloney jobs!" from Blazing Saddles the movie

"After seeing the photo posted by Randy Mo I also have a bad feeling that the film development unit (the only part I really wanted) is just a poor design. "
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I will back more KS as it is fun to watch something happen, even if it is failure.

"After seeing the photo posted by Randy Mo I also have a bad feeling that the film development unit (the only part I really wanted) is just a poor design. "
    I'd like to "watch something happen" also. Trouble is, when things go wrong and there are unforeseen delays most creators clam up, go dark, stop communicating with backers. How can the backers be part of the journey if they are shut out and ignored?

I'd rather see crowdfunding structured something like this for hardware related projects;
    *No large donations. Limit backer amounts from $5~$20.
    *No product rewards. Instead you receive a 'voucher' for a discount on the final product, when and if the campaign is successful and the product is sold commercially.
    *Full disclosure and a standard accounting for how the money is spent. Donations are held by third party in escrow and dispersed only for confirmed project expenses.
    *Updates on the project are not at the creators discretion but are required to be regular, otherwise funds are not released.
    *25% of the funds collected are withheld and not released until the product is brought to completion and any backer issues with final product are resolved.

This is considerably more controlled than the current Kickstarter business model of, "well folks, after we collect our 5%, we don't know you." Yeah, you can fill in that little "report this project to Kickstarter" template if it makes you feel better. We won't/cannot take any meaningful action when projects go south.

Finally, Kickstarter's more direct hand in project oversight would cost more and require a higher commission, probably doubling from the current 5% to 10%.

However, if project creators, after demonstrating competence and voluntary compliance with these more restrictive guidelines could for future projects receive discounts on KS commissions by singing a legal agreement to exercise these guidelines themselves, without direct KS oversight.

Create a Startup with those ideas!

Perhaps, Plywood Starter?

Not kidding!
    Tin Can