Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shanghai 100 5x7 cut too small too fit into holders

Japan Exposures

Shanghai 100 5x7 cut too small too fit into holders

Aargh, how annoying is that: first time using this film (bought it almost two years ago, oops). I expected quality issues alright, but not that the fim is cut too small to be held in place within the holders! It's totally nerve-wrecking when your film falls into the camera when opening the dark slide. Plus of course any precise composition becomes impossible (see right side, ran out of film). Really unfortunate because the film itself produces very nice results.

Not sure I should dump it or keep using, so frustrating.

Schneider G-Claron 305mm/f9@f11, Shanghai 100 "5x7", Rodinal 1+50 rotation 15:00, Sinar p2

Vanannan

Re: Shanghai 100 5x7 cut too small too fit into holders

Do you have 5x7 inch film holders or are they 13x18 centimeters?

Japan Exposures

Hi, I have Lisco 5x7 and have been using 5x7 film from Fuji and Kodak for years. This film is obviously smaller cut, might not even cover the image area itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shanghai.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	160624
    Last edited by Dirk Rösler; 31-Jan-2017 at 09:58. Reason: Attached image

Maybe a litlte bit fiddly but couldn't you tape the film in the holders with electrical tape or something similar? Kind of a bummer but at least you could use the film.

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Maybe a litlte bit fiddly but couldn't you tape the film in the holders with electrical tape or something similar? Kind of a bummer but at least you could use the film.
    Indeed, I tried with some clear tape when loading. It works but you have to place it well, best at the corner that remains loose, then you have it in the rails on two edges and fixed at one point. Fiddly indeed... just when you think they couldn't get THAT part wrong - they can

Sounds like a lot of fiddling around to try to make it work. If you bought film that is "5x7" and it isn't really 5x7 sheet film, I would ask for an exchange for the properly sized film from wherever you bought it.

Japan Exposures

I think you are right. Even though that was two years ago I will try that. This is more useful to cut down and use as 4x5... thanks

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fiddling around to try to make it work. If you bought film that is "5x7" and it isn't really 5x7 sheet film, I would ask for an exchange for the properly sized film from wherever you bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    I think you are right. Even though that was two years ago I will try that. This is more useful to cut down and use as 4x5... thanks
    Is Shanghai Film Co still in business? I thought one of the China film manufacturers was forced to move and not sure if they found a spot and went back into production. Maybe that was the Lucky Film Co that had to move.

Anyhow Dirk at least your not the only one who is having/had this problem. Check out this thread from 2015. It seems the OP was having the same issue w/ his 5x7 Shanghai film.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ewbie-5x7-woes
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 31-Jan-2017 at 14:59. Reason: changed a few words

It could be half plate film which was popular in Asia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Japan Exposures

No, the size is something like 11.7 x 16.2mm, just weird. I wrote to the seller and they said Shanghai seems out of business so no chance for a replacement. Small seller so I don't want to push him for a refund... he offered discount on an alternative purchase of course.

Let's see what I will do with the stuff I have left...