Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Speeds - More accurate than we often suppose?

Dave Karp

Shutter Speeds - More accurate than we often suppose?

Over the years, I have read on many occasions that our shutters are less accurate than we would like to believe, especially older shutters.

A while back, I purchased the Shutter Speed app for my Android devices. This is the one created by Lukas Fritz (http://www.photoplug.de). I first used it without his PhotoPlug accessory and was very surprised that most of the tested shutters were quite accurate (assuming, as I do, that the app is accurate). Below 1/125, most of them are almost right on.

I was worried that using the app without the PhotoPlug was leading me to bad results, even though my results were repeatable.

So, I purchased the PhotoPlug and it sat around for months and months. This weekend I pulled it out and started making some measurements with my Nexus 7 tablet. I tested older style (jagged edge shutter speed ring), silver block style, and all black style Copal shutters. It did not seem to matter how old they were. I also tested versions used by Rodenstock, Nikon, and Fuji. Again, it did not matter which ones I chose. They are all mostly right on target. Of course, the higher speeds (above 1/60) are all off. However, they are not off by much. Usually, 1/125 and 1/250 are off by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop. The top speed, 1/500 or 1/400, are, as expected, off by much more. Usually 1 1/3 stop.

All but one of my lenses are used. I have not yet tested the one I purchased new. None have been serviced since purchased by me! The one I sent to Carol, she sent back after making a minor fix for free!!

Based on what I have read, I expected more deviation from the marked speed, but I found that with the PhotoPlug the shutters were more accurate than I expected after using the app without it. So, I am wondering what others have experienced. Am I lucky in the shutters I have tested so far? Or is this a typical experience?

I have yet to test some Seikos, an Ilex, and some Wollensak shutters. We will see how that goes.

Re: Shutter Speeds - More accurate than we often suppose?

Based on what I have read, I expected more deviation from the marked speed, but I found that with the photoPlug the shutters were more accurate than I expected after using the app without it.
    Your assertion certainly has my attention and I look forward to more comments from our readers. I've worked for forty years by finding a couple shutter speeds I could trust, and adjusting aperture or film speed to accommodate the one or two shutter speeds that work.

Ed Freniere

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Over the years, I have read on many occasions that our shutters are less accurate than we would like to believe, especially older shutters.

A while back, I purchased the Shutter Speed app for my Android devices. This is the one created by Lukas Fritz (http://www.photoplug.de). I first used it without his PhotoPlug accessory and was very surprised that most of the tested shutters were quite accurate (assuming, as I do, that the app is accurate). Below 1/125, most of them are almost right on.

I was worried that using the app without the PhotoPlug was leading me to bad results, even though my results were repeatable.

So, I purchased the PhotoPlug and it sat around for months and months. This weekend I pulled it out and started making some measurements with my Nexus 7 tablet. I tested older style (jagged edge shutter speed ring), silver block style, and all black style Copal shutters. It did not seem to matter how old they were. I also tested versions used by Rodenstock, Nikon, and Fuji. Again, it did not matter which ones I chose. They are all mostly right on target. Of course, the higher speeds (above 1/60) are all off. However, they are not off by much. Usually, 1/125 and 1/250 are off by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop. The top speed, 1/500 or 1/400, are, as expected, off by much more. Usually 1 1/3 stop.

All but one of my lenses are used. I have not yet tested the one I purchased new. None have been serviced since purchased by me! The one I sent to Carol, she sent back after making a minor fix for free!!

Based on what I have read, I expected more deviation from the marked speed, but I found that with the PhotoPlug the shutters were more accurate than I expected after using the app without it. So, I am wondering what others have experienced. Am I lucky in the shutters I have tested so far? Or is this a typical experience?

I have yet to test some Seikos, an Ilex, and some Wollensak shutters. We will see how that goes.
    I bought Lucas's app and photocell and tested all my shutters a couple of months ago. I got a similar result; they were all very accurate at 1/30 and slower. Performance degraded at higher speeds, usually about one stop slow at 1/400. They are all Copal shutters, and just as I received them, no CLA on any of them. A total of six shutters, I think.

Ed

Les

Most of my shutters seem OK....till they were properly tested. One Ilex didn't work at all (I bought the lens at v. reasonable), couple of them seemed slow at 1/2 and 1 second. Decided to CLA (all 6), so I wouldn't have to look over my shoulder. Only one Copal seem perfect, so I didn't send it. Each person will likely will have a different story.

Les

I use the app with the photoplug. I don't think in terms of speeds being off by x/y stops but rather matching a real speed vs. an indicated speed. That way I just meter to the real speed of the shutter and don't bother with the additional math after to make adjustments to the marked speed. I make a chart for each lens. I also do this on my mechanical medium format leaf shutter lenses.

Dave Karp

I am making charts for each lens in Excel. I will put them on labels or tape them onto the lensboard with each lens. I may also make note cards and laminate them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I am making charts for each lens in Excel. I will put them on labels or tape them onto the lensboard with each lens. I may also make note cards and laminate them.
    I have a Calumet shutter tester (bought new long ago), and used it to test every lens and create a cheat sheet that's taped to each lensboard with the shutter speed corrections. I also have the bellows extensions corrections for each lens as well on the sheet (i.e.: infinity at Xmm, 1/3 stop at Ymm, etc.), all of these created in Excel. I made a master sheet that I printed small and carry with my grey card (which came with a nice ziplock plastic bag, so it stays dry and easily found without needing lamination).
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Dave Karp

Drew,

Did you find your shutters were accurate? Inaccurate?

I use that shutter speed tester app with the photo diode widget, it showed that an Ilex Universal I've got is fast at slow speeds and the top speeds are all 1/25th. That Ilex is the shutter type that SK Grimes won't attempt to repair according to their site, by the way.

I've got a few old dial set compurs that test consistently accurately. Also a couple that are less reliable, and a couple of outright dogs. I use a couple of Volute shutters one of which has speeds a bit slower than the dial speeds, but consistently so. The other Volute runs nicely most of the time but is a bit awkward in cold weather.

Compound shutters are generally pretty good in my experience, usually a bit fast at 1 second, accurate through most of the mid range and then a bit slower than claimed at top speed.

I tested quite a few of my lenses 3 or 4 years ago and found all the shutter speeds on Copals, Compurs and Compounds were well in tolerance with little deviation less than 10%, not enough to compensate for. What surprised me most was the smoothest were the early Dialset Compurs and Compounds. I was most interested in the shutter speed range I was typically using 1 second to 1/30, although I do use faster when working hand held.

The Ilex and Wollensak shutters showed much greater variability while just in tolerance which is +/- 1/3 stop they aren't as accurate.

Ian