Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Century Universal 8x10

Restoring a Century Universal 8x10

I'm starting a restoration project on a Century Universal 8x10. Restoration may be too strong a word, as the camera has so much dust and grime on it, I'm not sure yet whether I can just clean it up or will need to completely disassemble, sand off the old finish, and refinish.

At the very least, the initial survey shows:

1. bellows need replacing
    2. handle needs replacing
    3. clean all the wood
    4. clean all the aluminum and brass.

I've also noticed some missing parts, so if anyone has the following, please contact me:

1. missing pin for spring on lower left of back
    2. missing gg holder
    3. missing knob for tightening second extension.

I'll also post a WTB for these.
    Thanks!
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009_0930Image0007.JPG   2009_0930Image0006.JPG   2009_0930Image0003.JPG   2009_0930Image0002.JPG  
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 11-Jun-2022 at 07:51.

Re: Restoring a Century Universal 8x10

Pics of parts needed/missing:

I'll post some pics as I make progress, and may lean on you guys (& gals) for advice as needed.

I've seen Sean's pics of how these can clean up http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rsal_8x10.html so I'm psyched to get started!

The clips holding the ground glass look just like those used on Deardorff 8x10s (and probably others). So unless you're going for 100% perfect authenticity, you could probably use Deardorff clips which should be a lot easier to find than ones original to a Century.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks Brian...does this apply to the spring pin also?

BTW, just finished a complete wipe down with Murphy's Oil Soap (and Baby Shampoo on the bellows). Looks like I'm going to have to strip 'er down. Most of the shellac is worn off, so we're down to the wood in lots of places already.

The wet wipe down of the bellows took care of most of the dryness (didn't help the holes, though).

If you have not already seen this thread, it might give you some ideas. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=century

Good luck, keep us posted, it looks like a fantastic project!

Thanks, ic-racer,
    Read over your thread--lots of good info, and very inspiring.

Like you, I'm on the fence about the bellows. I'm leaning toward Custom Bellows if for no other reason than the bellows on this camera have to compress really, really tight for the front standard to fit inside the rear frame to close the camera. If I'm going to completely strip and refinish all the wood and metal, I'd really like to dodge the bellows work.....

When I did my 2D I completely disassembled everything held together with screws, then stripped the wood with Formby's Furniture Refinisher. That was about 20 years ago and there may be less caustic/flammable/etc. materials available now, I've heard of an orange oil based stripper for aircraft finishes that might be an alternative. Once the old finish was off it was on with several coats of tung oil.

I think someone mentioned Custom Bellows being the source for Canham's bellows, if so that might help weight-wise -- always a consideration.

Re the handle, when I replaced mine I found that a piece of latigo leather dog leash worked perfectly, I just had to trim to match the original. It's still strong after all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Thanks, ic-racer,
    Read over your thread--lots of good info, and very inspiring.

Like you, I'm on the fence about the bellows. I'm leaning toward Custom Bellows if for no other reason than the bellows on this camera have to compress really, really tight for the front standard to fit inside the rear frame to close the camera. If I'm going to completely strip and refinish all the wood and metal, I'd really like to dodge the bellows work.....
    I think your camera is going to be more useable in the long run than my Century, so spending the $$ on a pro-build bellows will probably be worthwhile.

In my case, I'm glad I did the home made bellows because I have about $50 in the whole project (including the brass lens and cost of the camera). Using the Century for 2 years gave me a good chance to know what I wanted in a 'modern' 8x10 camera.