Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legends of the large format lenses.

Legends of the large format lenses.

Hallo!
    Share experience and tell your opinion -this information will be interesting to all!
    Musicians very much respect old guitar amps, for example Fender Bassman and Marshall JTM 45. These amplifiers are old, heavy, making a lot of noise, but make a unique sound which to be repeated nobody even today. Question: wich of large format lenses can be named legendary (old and new)? Which lenses possess unique and individual "drawing"?

Older Universal Heliar, Heliar and Imagon!
    Newer ones all Schneider XL lenses!

In reference to older lenses, its a safe bet anything ending with "or" or "ar" is considered by somebody somewhere to be a "classic."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

14" Goerz Blue-Dot Trigor - the last series of this formula produced by Kern in Switzerland.

Kodak Ektar f:3.7/105mm. B&W prints from negatives made with this lens show an incredible clarity (like cut with a razor), although paradoxically an examination of the negatives themselves under high magnification details seem somewhat mushy. Despite being determined strictly by mathematical rules, depth of field seems to go on forever.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

90mm f/8 Super Angulon.

Well, as you see. everybody has a different answer.

I have an ancient tube amp on my home stereo which is able to produce a completely different sort of "round" tonality than my other, much newer, digital receiver. The sound is anything but "cleaner", it has all sorts of artifacts and weird distortions. I am hardly a music equipment junkie, just a bottom feeder, but I love the tube and hate the digital. Similarly, I have quite a few "clinically" sharp lenses, mostly modern plasmats which have to my eye no discernible personality whatsoever; super sharp, contrasty, and no distortion.

If I compare my tube amp to my lens collection, I would guess that the closest thing I have would be my Heliar; it isn't terribly sharp or contrasty, has a fair amount of color aberration, but it is able to create unique images which I prefer over those which my more modern and more "perfect" lenses produce.If I take one step further from perfection, portrait lenses such as the Petzval or soft focus like the Verito produce images even more unique. I love my 11" Dallmeyer and my tube amp, but sure wouldn't want to claim that they reproduce reality...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Older lenses: Anything ever mentioned by Adams or Weston

Newer lenses: Anything with a sales pitch from Dagor77
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Heliar fan myself. Bill's 105/3.7 Ektar is a coated Heliar-type. Kodak also made a 100/3.5 version for the 6x9cm Medalist camera, and I've adapted one from a defunct Medalist for 35mm use.

I have a few Dagors that have a lot of character and really wide coverage. Not as sharp as more modern designs, but for contact prints I prefer them to the newer lenses.

Apo-Artars are still remarkably sharp lenses.

Among the soft-focus lenses, I have two Veritos that I like.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"Not as sharp as more modern designs, but for contact prints I prefer them to the newer lenses."

makes a big difference! some old lenses that are otherworldly for making contact prints go to pieces when you enlarge.