Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem mounting Ilex #5 shutter to lensboard - doesn't stay tight

Problem mounting Ilex #5 shutter to lensboard - doesn't stay tight

I'm having a problem mounting an Ilex #5 shutter to a 6x6 lens board. I've already drilled holes for the flange and have it screwed onto the lens board but when I screw the lens onto the flange it doesn't screw tight. It looks to me like there is about maybe 1mm of wiggle room if I move the lens when it's screwed onto the lens board. I bought this lens from Igor Camera and it came with the flange so I assume it's original. I hope it is...anyways what can I do to securely lock my lens onto the flange? Would teflon tape be enough to hold it?

Re: Problem mounting Ilex #5 shutter to lensboard - doesn't stay tight

Some flanges are so close to right that things screw in a fair distance then jam. Can't tell if you mean by 'wiggle room' that it is physically loose when fully seated as it stops 1 mm short or just that it stops short but isn't flush. If that is the problem you might flip the flange over to the inside of the lens board and use the thickness of the board to eliminate that gap.

Is the flange on the rear of the lensboard, as it should be?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I thought the retaining rings were the ones that go on the back of the lens board? What I have I believe is a flange...I drilled 4 holes to screw it onto the front (like I've seen elsewhere on this forum) and screwed the lens onto that. The flange mounted onto the lens board is solid but when I screw the lens onto the flange there is the smallest amount of wiggle room around the threads and it's screwed in all the way. When it's screwed in all the way onto the flange there isn't even the slightest amount of tension.

I was impatient and tried teflon tape...seemed to work I put quiet a bit on and made sure the lens screwed down tightly then removed excess teflon tape on the inside threads of the lens board. My only concern is because my Kodak Commercial Ektar 14inch on Ilex #5 shutter is so heavy...should I be worried? Personally I don't think it'll be a problem because it seems tight now after using teflon tape but I honestly can't tell if this flange is the correct size or not. I assumed it would be since I bought the lens off Igor Camera

When I tried having it on the back like you suggested it makes it so the aperture control dial can't move but the lens still isn't tight onto the board.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    When I tried having it on the back like you suggested it makes it so the aperture control dial can't move but the lens still isn't tight onto the board.
    Sorry, but I have no further suggestions.

I've only mounted a few Ilex shutters, as I suggested, and they worked.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    My only concern is because my Kodak Commercial Ektar 14inch on Ilex #5 shutter is so heavy...should I be worried? Personally I don't think it'll be a problem because it seems tight now after using teflon tape but I honestly can't tell if this flange is the correct size or not.
    Was the flange tight against the shutter before you mounted it? It should take several turns for the lens to come off by which time you'd notice it so you should be fine.

I used some teflon tape to help bridge the wiggle room in the threads when it's screwed onto the flange all the way. The lens seems secure now but I'm unsure if this is a good idea since the lens is quite heavy...I don't think it should be a problem because I used enough teflon (like 4-5 wraps) to get it really snug onto the flange. I'm just curious if anyone would have any comments on why this might not be a good idea in the long run?

I feel like the flange that came with the lens from Igor Camera is the correct one but since there is just the smallest amount of wiggle room once screwed down all the way it makes me question if I might end up ruining the threads somehow because of the weight of the lens? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm not too good with this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Was the flange tight against the shutter before you mounted it? It should take several turns for the lens to come off by which time you'd notice it so you should be fine.

Sorry my previous post was made before I saw your comment.

I'm not worried about it coming unscrewed necessarily but having the weight of the lens *maybe* ruining the threads and having the lens just fall off the flange. I mean I doubt this would happen but I don't know how soft or hard these threads are...I'm afraid of it getting stripped because of the 1mm-ish wiggle room when the lens is screwed all the way onto the flange.

You need to stop talking about "wiggle room". That's not a defined attribute.

Are you talking about axial play or lateral play or rotational play?

- Leigh

The best I can describe it is this -

When I have the lens screwed all the way down on the flange I can look from the back side and while holding the lens board I can move the lens slightly in all directions by what I think is 1mm. It's just enough to not be tight but it's not so bad to where I can see the top edge of the threads on the lens.