Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Re: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Translate that, Randy. Does that bulb really permit 1/200th of a second?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Yes, but at a reduced efficiency. Hence the lower guide numbers as the shutter speed increases. Basically, at any speed over 1/30 the film will only see a part of the light from the flash bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

Yes, if timed correctly to peak with film speed and correct aperture. Distance is the thing.

ASA had to be used by the time of these printed instructions for those bulbs. 1955 to 1963.

So ISO/ASA of 100 is GN 260 at 1/200 as marked on box.

I would pick f22 at 10 feet and burn a case setting the damn solenoid timer or the adjustable flash time on the shutter.

Instead I do 1/30 with a Packard or use open bulb.

Now stay still, you dead body. Not you Jac, the corpse WeeGee was shooting...

YOU TAUGHT ME THAT, JAC!

Take GN divide by distance and you have the f stop. 260/10=26 round to f22 Shoot film 2 at f16.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Tin Can

Of course. I shoot a lot of Packard shutter with DIY Micro Switch using radio to fire modern strobes.

I always choose 1/30th or bulb.

I really like the extended glow of a big flash bulb, even if most of it is just fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes, but at a reduced efficiency. Hence the lower guide numbers as the shutter speed increases. Basically, at any speed over 1/30 the film will only see a part of the light from the flash bulb.
    Tin Can

Randy, I asked because 1/200th of a second is difficult to reach with all but a couple flash bulbs, and I know Weegee did not use either. Just curious, my friend, and hope I'm not missing something.

Buried deep in my memory is the fact that there were longer-duration flash bulbs designed to use with focal-plane shutters. Some cameras, like early Pentaxes, have a separate PC connector labelled 'FP'. You can find references to these bulbs in old tech manuals. I've never seen or used any of these; their time was before mine. But the question doesn't get any simpler with that information...

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Flashbulbs

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Flash_(ph...y)#/Flashbulbs

The problem is all our shutters and FP cameras are now very old.

My 1951 Speed does have a flash bulb bipin fitting connected to contacts for the moving curtain. My curtain works fine, the contacts must be corroded as they do not work.

My camera looks like new. I have tried the FP flash feature.

Leaf shutters HAD delay also but do to not work very good now and shutter repair has become a lost art.

Solenoids delays also existed, but most are disconnected, failed or hard to adjust.

I have tried all methods.

Yet I do believe an expert at flash bulbs like WeeGee could shoot at 1/200 anytime he wanted, which may have not been necessary at all times. Since he shot a lot of static crime scenes where nothing moves.

A synchronous event is happening near me!

Bloodhoundbob and I are going to the local college, SIUC tuesday to see an exhibition of the local flash bulb expert!

I assume he used many large flashbulbs for his LF cave negatives. They are still the preferred lighting method as they are small, lightweight and very powerful.

Charles Swedlund photograph exhibit of various caves in the region

Flash bulbs are still made in Republic of Ireland for movies, caving and large empty buildings.
    Tin Can

Those# 2B or #50 flash bulbs were often used for interior flash photography. The camera was set up, Edison bulbs would be removed and replaced with# 2B / #50 flash bulbs. Come night the single exposure was made by pulling the dark slide, open the shutter or remove the lens cap then flip the light switch on to fire all# 2B / #50 flash bulbs.

There is a second clock work wind lever on some Ilex shutters with a small three position wheel on the side marked with color dots. The color dots noted flash sync type of F, M or X. The color dot corresponded to the delay required for the type of flash bulb to be used with X being used only for electronic flash. Flash trigger delay is to allow the bulb to "burn up" to full light output before shutter action. What is mostly forgotten today, the amount of light output from flash bulbs is surprising and quite remarkable. There are no second chances with flash bulbs, which puts greater demands on the photographers ability to get the image required in one exposure.

Bernice
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 2-Feb-2019 at 09:35.

A helpful tip for using Edison/Mazda base bulbs in series, especially in large installations using AC mains current, is to put a conventional tungsten bulb as the first bulb in series to absorb surging.

It is possible to use a flash meter with bulbs if you have a PC cord socket on the meter. It can provide a good starting point for tests. (At $1 to $5 each today, bulbs are still rather spendy.)

Thanks Bernice and Jac for the tips.

I have more than 3000 flash bulbs of all sizes!

The big ones are bulky, rare and now valued $10 US and up.

The sealed box cases of No. 2 were given to me by a stranger who found them in his new old home. He did not want to toss them out.

He joined this forum specifically to find me and give them away. He was not a photographer and perhaps never here again.

Thank you anonymous donor!
    Tin Can