Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Post / 1st large format camera , advice

1st Post / 1st large format camera , advice

I've decided to take the plunge and purchase a 4by5 LF. The camera will mainly be for studio use. I'd like to be able to use a strobe with " normal" sync speeds. I've read about a few systems but the flash sync speeds were very low ( I could be misinformed and this was a Sinar P ). I mainly shoot sculpture and still life that I create. I'd like to be able to take it outdoors but this is not critical. I'm interested in a Horseman LX but maybe " ease of use " if there is such a thing with these types of cameras should be an important consideration.

Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: 1st Post / 1st large format camera , advice

if your in a darkish studio.. flash sync speed isn't an issue..1/30, 1/15 - it's all good..outdoors is a different story though

The lenses for view cameras( that are in shutters) are leaf shutters and sync at all speeds. There may be exceptions but, the normal shutters will work for you. The Sinar P is for image management only(I've heard it called a film transport system). The Sinar is a fine camera...I have an F2. Ease of use it a huge thing and I'm sure you will get plenty of hits on this thread. Welcome!

The shutter you heard about may be behind the lens and that would explain the slow sync speed. Get a lens that is mounted in a shutter.

Modern LF lenses come in leaf shutters and electronic flash sync is at any speed unlike focal plane shutters.

Ian

A monorail like the Sinar P is considered a studio camera. Along with a 210mm f/5.6 lens in a modern Copal shutter I think it should be perfect for shooting sculpture. If you want a cheaper monorail than Sinar you should also look at Cambo/Calumet or Toyo.

You can take it outside but it's heavy and bulky. You wouldn't want to hike with it in a backpack. Also the bigger and heavier the camera the bigger and heavier the tripod you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    A monorail like the Sinar P is considered a studio camera. Along with a 210mm f/5.6 lens in a modern Copal shutter I think it should be perfect for shooting sculpture. If you want a cheaper monorail than Sinar you should also look at Cambo/Calumet or Toyo.

You can take it outside but it's heavy and bulky. You wouldn't want to hike with it in a backpack. Also the bigger and heavier the camera the bigger and heavier the tripod you need.
    Thanks for the responses guys. In regards to the Sinar F / P I'm still confused about flash sync. Is it the same type connection that would hook into a Mamiya Sekor lens? I guess what I want to know is that if I connect a in front of the camera lens to a Sinar F / P will I be able to sync at 125-250 considering it's a leaf shutter ?

maybe and yes..if the shutter goes that high

old, big shutters sometimes use a bi-post connection - never fear..Paramount still makes new cords for them

likewise..some older, bigger shutters top out at 100 or 60th - again, not a problem in a studio inside

those sinar shutters only go to 60th I think..or mine does anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I'd get a Sinar F2. It's much lighter than the P, cheaper and readily available in the used market! L

So I can throw any LF in front of the camera lens into a Sinar F2 ( I assume it has to have a compatible Sinar lens board ) and be ready to shoot? Also if the lens is a leaf shutter why would I be limited to 1/60?

Excuse me if these are dumb questions, I tend to ask tons of them until I run out of them

The Sinar Copal shutter has a maximum speed of 1/60th, that's the limitation with that particular shutter or many other large leaf shutters..