Thread: Backpack for 8x10 Fold Up Rail Camera

Backpack for 8x10 Fold Up Rail Camera

I have a Kodak 2D 8x10 camera. I need a backpack for it. While I can find backpacks large enough for 8x10 cameras, my concern is that the 2D isn't a clam shell design, it has a fold up rail similar to the Agfa Ansco, Seneca, and other 8x10s of that era. This means that it's much deeper when folded than cameras that use the clam shell design such as Deardorff et al. I'm concerned that it would be difficult to use many otherwise suitable 8x10 backpacks because of the depth of the 2D when folded up. I'd appreciate any recommendations for a backpack (dedicated camera pack or a hiking pack that has been adapted to photography) from people who own a 2D , Agfa Ansco, Seneca, or other similarly designed (i.e. non-clam shell) 8x10 camera.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian - My 6.5x8.5 Eastman No. 2 fits fine in the f64 BPX pack. If you can let us know the dimensions, including thickness, of your folded 8x10 2D, I can check it against my BPX for you.

I have heard that backpack works for that many 8x10 cameras as well.

I use a Calumet 8x10, and now a Bender 8x10...and I found a JAN SPORT backpack at my local Walmart that they both fit into, along with all my stuff and 3 film holders! You just have to really look around!

Goodluck!

Ryan

If a bag not specifically designed for cameras is of interest look for a large ALICE bag, which is the standard issue army backpack, at an army surplus store. Mine carries my 8 x10, three lens, dark cloth and lunch easily. It is very well made and very comfortable to wear with its internal frame. I understand there are a couple of sizes so you may want to take your camera with you. An ebay search under "camping hiking backpacking" will show you pictures.

Thanks for the responses. Oren, I have an F64 8x10 pack so I can do this myself but thanks for the offer. I use the F64 8x10 for my 4x5 system and like it a lot for that purpose so I don't want to use it with the 8x10 system. I may end up just buying another F64 pack.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian - OK. One thing to keep in mind about the 2D will probably be obvious, but just in case you haven't thought about it yet: the way the camera folds allows you to store it with a lens mounted, and for speed in setup it's tempting to do that. If you plan to do that, think about what lens you might be using, since many modern lenses for 8x10 will be large enough to protrude beyond the thickness of the folded front rails, and that will determine the depth you really need in the pack.

I think the Eastman cameras of that general design are lots of fun to use - hope you have a good time with it!