Thread: tray processing

tray processing

Does anyone have experience with the tray insert gadget sold by Photographers Formulary which holds six sheets of film for tray processing. Sounds like a natural for keeping hands out of PMK and maintaining the advantagesof tray processing. Only six at a time but - it uses 1 1/2 liters of developer but so what?

tray processing

Im not sure if I am thinking of the exact same thing that you are talking about, but I saw like a layered shelf-like thing that lays into a tray, and you can place the film into the shelfs when developing. The problem that I saw with it, is that you need a really deep tray, and you have to use ALOT more developer then normal for 8x10 sheet film.

Can you send me a link, so I can check it out? I been developing in HC-110...so I dont mind putting my hands in it. I have recently changed to Pyrocat thought, so I cannot be swimming in my developer with my hands anymore! Wearing gloves has always been a hastle for me, so i would like to see this.

The ONLY problem I can think of, is when you are moving the tray around...you will get over agitation on the sides of the film, by the developer moving around more on the sides then the middle. You end up getting more density on the sides of the film...and its a pain to burn in on all your prints! I am sure you know what im talking about.

Let me know!

Ryan

tray processing

Richard -

You are asking about a "slosher". I saw/used one in a workshop last summer, and was so impressed that I made two after I returned home. - one is a six sheet model that works with 11x14 trays, and the other is a two-sheet version for use with 8x10 trays.

A slosher is a cradle that fits inside an ordinary tray and that has compartments for individual sheets of film. The individual compartments are slightly larger - say about 1/4" - than individual sheets. You put film emulsion-side up in the compartments, and then drop the entire assembly into the tray for processing. Agitation involves lifting one corner of the slosher a bit, dropping it back into the tray, and then lifting another corner, etc, progressing around the four corners. The design inludes holes in the bottom and sides, and also between compartments, to permit solutions to move freely from one compartment to another, and around the sheets, as the slosher is agitated.

The fact that film sheets are developed emulsion side up in dividual compartments means that there is no way that sheets can ever touch each other and the only thing that ever touches the emulsion is the chemistry - thereby avoiding scratching.

The edges of the slosher are the handles that you use to agitate and also to move the slosher from one tray to the next. In the way I use mine, film sheets stay in their individual compartments all the way from presoak through washing and photoflo.

By the way, I have found that I can do six sheets in my slosher in a standard 11x14 tray using 800ml of solution in each tray. More would be better, I suppose, and while I think it might be possible to use less, I've developed a degree of comfort with 800ml. But like everything else, that's a calibration thing, and you might find that you need more for your process.

If you are thinking that a slosher might keep your fingers dry when using pyro - I suppose that if you make your own and make the edges tall enough, then it may work that way. But the edges of mine are only about 1" tall, so my fingers do get wet. So I wear rubber gloves to avoid getting my hands into the solution.

I made mine from 1/4" plexiglass from Home Despot. I cut/drilled the plastic using ordinary wood working tools (be absolutely sure to wear eye protection - cutting plexiglass throws a lot of sharp chips), and assembled everything using plexiglass cement (from the glass shop - they don't have a clue about that stuff at Home Despot). The one I saw last summer was made from white plexiglass and looked fairly pretty. I could only find the clear version, and while it's fully functional, it's not as neat looking. But hey, I use it in the dark - so who cares what it looks like?

tray processing

But how do you get even development out of it? It seems like the film would just float on the liquid and not get completely developed, particularly if the compartments are larger than the film. Does it enable the film to be completely submerged in the developer?

tray processing

Hvae a look at http://www.summitek.com/cradle.html It's a well made product (I bought one but never used it as I elected to go the Jobo route - sold it).

tray processing

Dean I get very even developement out of my homemade unit. The trick is to wear gloves and and push the film into the solution initially. after that they stay down naturally with agitation. I made my slosher out of a regular print tray and simply glued partitions (with holes) into it to keep the sheets separate. The partitions were made out of plastic or plexi that was double the width I needed: I then cutholes with a drill and a common hole saw in the middle: then sawed the piece in half lengthwise leaving me 2 partitions that look like an old many arched bridge. By keeping the hole size as large as possible but still keeping the films separate there is no unevenness in developement. I checked with water and the lights on and there is great flow. Eventually I'll make more but use the tray insert model so I can just use the one unit and transfer it from bath to bath.

tray processing

Richard

It is really easy to develop sheet film in tray , even with gloves. I wear gloves when I use Rodinal, PMK , or ABC pyro, and use to develop 10-12 8x10 at the same time without any problem.

regards

tray processing

I am not familiar with the tray insert sold by Photographers Formulary, but I know a little about tray inserts generally. John Sexton uses one that he calls a slosher. It has 6 slots and is used with an 11 x 14 tray holding 1500 cc of developer. The advantage of a slosher, and Sexton's purpose, is that it allows even development with highly-diluted compensating developers where there are long periods between agitation. HC110 and T-Max RS can be used as compensating developers, but I don't think PMK is recommended for that purpose.

tray processing

Hi Ryan!

I hope you see this. I don't know how to make underline things on the computer (only typewriter - capital 6 I think) and I couldn' translate your e-mail address to one that will work. Send me an e-mail and explain how and I'll trade you all I know about the tray insert.

Jim Ewins

tray processing

Richard, I've been using the one I bought from The Formulary for a year without problems. The film stays near the bottom and the many holes allow for easy movement of fresh solution. The sides and dividers are higher than the liquid level so the film doesn't float out. The slosser I'm told was developed by Gorden Hutchings for pyro. No more streaky skys. I need to make one for 8x10s. Jim