Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Tilt Function FLM CB-58 FTR ii, Possible to move laterally?!

  1. #1
    Thalmees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    342

    Tilt Function FLM CB-58 FTR ii, Possible to move laterally?!

    Tilt Function FLM CB-58 FTR ii, Possible to move laterally?!
    .
    Hello all, wish you a pleasing day.
    Thanks for sharing your experience or knowledge.
    Initially, it's one of the best if not the best in its size range.
    But, have had the chance to test two sample of this tripod head.
    First one came with its tilt function could not be fully utilized.
    The camera, even a medium format, could be moved laterally even
    when tightened to max.
    When I unscrewed the tilt knob, found the red "O" ring flattened,
    and looked that the metal rim of the internal side of the knob, could scratch the ball !
    The second one has much more tension, but still the camera can move
    laterally with just a moderate push.
    Is it manufacturer standards?
    Thanks.

    The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

  2. #2
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,133

    Re: Tilt Function FLM CB-58 FTR ii, Possible to move laterally?!

    Hi Thalmees,
    If a moderate push is all that's needed to dislodge the ball from its axis, then you need a replacement O-ring.
    Under normal circumstances, when using the tilt lock, the camera can be moved from front to back and not veer off-axis; if you apply enough lateral force to the ball, then yes, it will go off-axis.
    The tilt lock is simply a guide for 2-way movement, we describe it as "behaving much like a 2-way head", but it's not a 2-way head.
    It's an excellent ball head with a convenient function that allows the vertical axis to be held firmly, until enough lateral force is applied to it.
    Contact me through FLM Canada dot com and I'll get you a new O-ring. If you're in Europe, I'll arrange for an O-ring to be sent to you from Germany.

    The tilt function should normally behave this way, even with an 8x10 camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BbY15x55TQ

  3. #3
    Thalmees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    342

    Re: Tilt Function FLM CB-58 FTR ii, Possible to move laterally?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Hi Thalmees,
    If a moderate push is all that's needed to dislodge the ball from its axis, then you need a replacement O-ring.
    Under normal circumstances, when using the tilt lock, the camera can be moved from front to back and not veer off-axis; if you apply enough lateral force to the ball, then yes, it will go off-axis.
    The tilt lock is simply a guide for 2-way movement, we describe it as "behaving much like a 2-way head", but it's not a 2-way head.
    It's an excellent ball head with a convenient function that allows the vertical axis to be held firmly, until enough lateral force is applied to it.
    Contact me through FLM Canada dot com and I'll get you a new O-ring. If you're in Europe, I'll arrange for an O-ring to be sent to you from Germany.

    The tilt function should normally behave this way, even with an 8x10 camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BbY15x55TQ
    That's really great reply. Specific plus touch of kindness.
    Thanks sooooooo much Ari.
    Appreciate much your kind offer.
    Will contact you after giving this head a probation period.
    Already have a new separate tilt knob. Purchased with the second head, just in case!
    Based on my indoor light use, I'm expecting much of this head.
    Will use the head in a relatively long trip in the coming few weeks.
    Thanks so much Ari.

    The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

  4. #4
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,133

    Re: Tilt Function FLM CB-58 FTR ii, Possible to move laterally?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalmees View Post
    That's really great reply. Specific plus touch of kindness.
    Thanks sooooooo much Ari.
    Appreciate much your kind offer.
    Will contact you after giving this head a probation period.
    Already have a new separate tilt knob. Purchased with the second head, just in case!
    Based on my indoor light use, I'm expecting much of this head.
    Will use the head in a relatively long trip in the coming few weeks.
    Thanks so much Ari.
    You're very welcome, contact me anytime so I can get you any needed parts in time.

    Since you've already removed the tilt knob, check the O-ring for any glue residue that may come into contact with the ball.
    If you see any, use a toothpick dabbed in alcohol to remove only the residue from the O-ring where it contacts the ball.
    Don't get any alcohol under the O-ring, that could cause the glue underneath to dissolve, and re-gluing will be needed.

    One more thing: if you think the O-ring and knob are working fine, but notice a bit of drop-off in overall performance, here's a little procedure you can try to get the ball head back up to 100%:
    Clean the ball very well with rubbing alcohol (or similar) and a dry cloth (microfibre, or regular lens cloth).
    Tighten the friction knob until you feel a good amount of resistance in it, and leave the ball head this way overnight.
    Keep other knobs loosened or at minimum, including the tilt knob.
    It's kind of a re-set for the ball head.

  5. #5
    Thalmees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    342

    Re: Tilt Function FLM CB-58 FTR ii, Possible to move laterally?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    You're very welcome, contact me anytime so I can get you any needed parts in time.

    Since you've already removed the tilt knob, check the O-ring for any glue residue that may come into contact with the ball.
    If you see any, use a toothpick dabbed in alcohol to remove only the residue from the O-ring where it contacts the ball.
    Don't get any alcohol under the O-ring, that could cause the glue underneath to dissolve, and re-gluing will be needed.

    One more thing: if you think the O-ring and knob are working fine, but notice a bit of drop-off in overall performance, here's a little procedure you can try to get the ball head back up to 100%:
    Clean the ball very well with rubbing alcohol (or similar) and a dry cloth (microfibre, or regular lens cloth).
    Tighten the friction knob until you feel a good amount of resistance in it, and leave the ball head this way overnight.
    Keep other knobs loosened or at minimum, including the tilt knob.
    It's kind of a re-set for the ball head.
    Thanks so much Ari for the valuable advice.
    In the tilt knob of the first head, I found the "O" ring has been flattened, plus
    pieces of dry Silicon or glue, intervening with the knob function.
    The pieces are big, three or more.
    In the tilt knob of the second head, have only found one small piece of that dry material!
    Hopefully did not put it under tough work yet. Only testing.
    Removed and cleaned carefully, as per your instructions.
    Thanks soooo much.

    The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Similar Threads

  1. Front Tilt or Reat Tilt on a Linhof Tech... Which Do You Use?
    By Scott Rosenberg in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2017, 09:48
  2. Looking to move into LF
    By nimo956 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2012, 15:59
  3. Base Tilt versus Axis Tilt
    By Ty G in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6-May-2010, 12:22
  4. Center/Axis Tilt vs Base Tilt
    By Greg Liscio in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 9-Jun-2009, 10:31
  5. Newbie Q: rear tilt vs. front tilt
    By Todd Caudle in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5-Dec-1999, 21:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •