Thread: Eversmart Pro help

Eversmart Pro help

Hi guys,
    My name is Pascal, I live in Montreal and I Just got myself an Eversmart Pro Scanner, (the first version) I save it from the trash..I didn’t have the opportunity to scan yet because I don’t have a calibrated slide for now.. but I will have one soon and I‘m pretty excited!

by the past I had a Minolta damage scan Pro for color medium format only , But I have never use an Eversmart flatbed.. I’m planning to scan mostly 4x5 and 6x7 negative color and sometime maybe a few color slide.

I just saw on this forum some comparaison between the Eversmart pro and the Scanmate 11000 drum scanner made by Pali, and the quality of the result are impressive!

In fact I wonder if you guys will be open to share a bit your experience/workflow with the Eversmart Pro it will help me a lot.

For the best scan quality.. I was thinking to do like a raw/linear scan with Eversmart scan software in OS9 and then export it to my more modern intel mac for post process…But maybe I’m wrong
    What do you think ?
    How do you scan with the ever smart Pro ?

As for your workflow wich software/operating system do you use?

I also wonder if there is a way on the Eversmart Pro1 to save, export or just convert the negative color scan in 16bit?? If yes How ??
    Also anybody know if I can use a Eversmart Pro1 with a converter firewire scsi (like the device made by Ratoc or by Orange) on OSX with Oxygen Scan software ...instead of OS9 and Eversmart Scan software?
    If yes wich Oxygen Scan software version will work on a powermac G4?..And does it really make a difference in terms of efficacy/quality vs Os9 plus Eversmart scan software combo?

That a lot of question..
    Thanks a lot for your time and your help
    Happy new year!

Pascal

Re: Eversmart Pro help

Quote Originally Posted by paskalkea View Post
    I also wonder if there is a way on the Eversmart Pro1 to save, export or just convert the negative color scan in 16bit?? If yes How ??
    Also anybody know if I can use a Eversmart Pro1 with a converter firewire scsi (like the device made by Ratoc or by Orange) on OSX with Oxygen Scan software ...instead of OS9 and Eversmart Scan software?
    If yes wich Oxygen Scan software version will work on a powermac G4?..And does it really make a difference in terms of efficacy/quality vs Os9 plus Eversmart scan software combo?
    Pascal

Pascal

Answer is no, there is no way to save or export Eversmart Pro files to 16 bit.

And the only drivers that work with the Eversmart Pro must be used in MAC OS9 with SCSI. If you have a G4 Powermac the simplest solution is to install a SCSI card, Adapted 2906 I believe works the best.

Since your files will be 8 bit the best way to scan in my experience is to adjust your curve to just barely avoid clipping in the shadows and highlights, scan and then immediately convert the file to 16 bit before making any more tonal adjustments in Photoshop. You will probably want to port the files to a more modern MAC or PC for processing, which means you may also need to add a USB 2 card to the G4 as USB 1 is very slow.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Eversmart Pro help

Quote Originally Posted by paskalkea View Post
    ...For the best scan quality.. I was thinking to do like a raw/linear scan with Eversmart scan software in OS9 and then export it to my more modern intel mac for post process…
    As for your workflow wich software/operating system do you use?
    If yes wich Oxygen Scan software version will work on a powermac G4?..And does it really make a difference in terms of efficacy/quality vs Os9 plus Eversmart scan software combo?...
    Pascal,

What Sandy mentioned has been my experience as well. I use mine on MAC OS9 on a G3 Powermac and transfer the scanned files to my Windows 2010 machine using a basic FTP setup. I have a client on the Mac G3 that uploads to my Windows 2010 machine under a ES Pro Scans folder. I found this to be the fastest and easiest way to move my scanned files from OS9 to my Photoshop machine.

As a general scanning workflow, here is what works best for me:

For Black and White Negatives: Scan as Positives in RGB mode and make sure your shadows and highlights are barely avoiding clipping (as Sandy mentioned) and invert using ColorPerfect plugin in Photoshop. This gives you all the control your would need to properly adjust the negative curve in post similar to working with a linear raw scan.

For Color Negatives: Scan as negatives and make any adjustments directly in Eversmart Scan software. I find that the Eversmart Scan software has all of the controls that I need and it does a phenomincal job at converting color negatives. I prefer the Color conversion in Eversmart Pro over ColorPerfect plugin but only for scans made on Eversmart Pro. It is straightforward and it just works beautifully.
    Note: You will lose color details if you scan in positive mode and then convert using Colorperfect.

For Color Slides: Scan as positive and you'll notice that you really don't need much adjustments other than black and white endpoints. Avoid clipping and make any necessary adjustments in Photoshop in post. My Eversmart Pro vs. Scanmate 11000 scans were very much straight out of the scanner scans. I adjusted the curves to match the contrast but did not make any color adjustments on either.

I have found that Eversmart Pro, once calibrated using the calibration slide and software, produces very accurate scans straight from the start. You should need minimal adjustments beyond the black and white points and anything else you do on top will be just for your artistic taste. Keep in mind proper film masks are a must to avoid light bleeding at the edges of the scans.

For reference, here is my Flickr album for all of my Eversmart Pro scans so far:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/palika...57668490253410

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions for us.

Regards,

Pali
    Last edited by Pali K; 13-Jan-2017 at 10:47.