Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak HC-110 Higher Dilution and Increased Time

Kodak HC-110 Higher Dilution and Increased Time

My question is geared towards 4x5 sheet film, processed in a Paterson tank, inverted manually.

When using HC110, does increasing the dilution and increasing the development time have any side effects (lack of sharpness, contrast etc etc)

For example:
    If the suggested time is 6 minutes with Dilution B (1:31) would using 12 Minutes with a dilution of (1:63) yield the same result?

Re: Kodak HC-110 Higher Dilution and Increased Time

Try it & let us know

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    My question is geared towards 4x5 sheet film, processed in a Paterson tank, inverted manually.

When using HC110, does increasing the dilution and increasing the development time have any side effects (lack of sharpness, contrast etc etc)

For example:
    If the suggested time is 6 minutes with Dilution B (1:31) would using 12 Minutes with a dilution of (1:63) yield the same result?
    It depends on the film, subject matter and lighting. I often use 1:100 to get longer scaled negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post

For example:
    Increasing dilution increases development and contrast; you can add more contrast by inverting more frequently or vigorously.
    Normally doubling the dilution also doubles the development time, but that should be used only as a starting point to finding your ideal combination of time, concentration and agitation.

Try, try and try again; that's how you'll know what works best for you.

Ian,

Have you seen this: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Lots of info regarding HC-110.

Ian,
    Go to covingtoninnovations this research is a good starting point.....also be careful of depletion rates for the chemistry....jp

Increasing dilution (provided that you have enough stock for the amount of film you are developing) just increases the developing time. I have made negatives that are identical for all intents and purposes with HC-110 1+31 and 1+63, just developed at different times. I liked the higher dilution due to the longer times for N- developments, which with dil. B could often be less than four minutes.

Interestingly, I found I got better N+ negs with higher dilutions of HC-110; less overall fog and more snap in the highlights. I don't really understand why though.

Increased grain should not be an issue; HC-110 was never a "fine-grain" developer in the sense that it had enough sulfite to soften grain like D76 at full strength does.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks for the comments, I am going to do a series of test at different dilutions to see if I can see any differences

I hate to suggest something that might waste film, but...! You might try doing two negatives (or two clip tests) absolutely identically, and check to see if the results are actually identical. This lets you check if your normal procedure has more variation than changing your time & dilution.

As dilution increases, you will eventually reach the point where you realize - by analogy - that 9 women can't have a baby in 1 month