Thread: Cable release attachment thingies

Cable release attachment thingies

Ok, so either my googling skills are useless, or these things are really hard to get a hold of... two of my lenses are in need of new cable release attachment thingies, threads no longer usable, any idea where i can find them? Also, as you may have noticed, I could do with knowing the proper name for these things 😜
    Eugene van der Merwe

Re: Cable release attachment thingies

Cable release sockets. Contact the camera repair shops in your country. And your lenses don't have them. Your shutters do. So do you need Copal, Compur, Prontor, Prontor Professional, Seiko or ones for another shutter?

Or cable release adapter, angled cable release adapter, either can be used with the qualifiers L-hook, U-hook, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Or cable release adapter, angled cable release adapter, either can be used with the qualifiers L-hook, U-hook, etc
    Doesn't sound like that is what he needs. He stated that the threads are stripped on his.

However, the problem may be that the tip of cheap cable releases broke off in the socket. To fix that he only needs to insert a jewelers screw driver into the socket, push down to grasp the tip and unscrew the broken tip. Then buy a good cable release.

Bob is right, it's usually called a Cable release socket, and I'm afraid it's not a universal fit. I'm missing the entire socket mount for a Fuji lens.

I'm glad that Bob answered to jog my memory. Maybe I can rig a Linhof Quicksocket to work the shutter release lever.

If I were in Eugene's situation I would consider using Loctite GO2 to fasten a cable adapter to the mount. Google Ari's terms for various types.

JB Weld works OK to attach a cable adapter. Not as pretty as loctite maybe but it works. Guess how I know!!!

Thanks everyone! Cable release sockets are what i need, for two of my copal 0 SHUTTERS. Used to be able to find them at b&h. I think the problem is that the taper of the thread on the cable and the one on the thread aren't quite the same, and the sockets came off worse when attaching them. I've tried various epoxy and loctite type fixes, bit so far none have been satisfactorily permanent. Guess a visit to some local repair folks are in order then...
    Eugene van der Merwe

SK Grimes or Richard Ritter. I got one from Grimes long ago, and got another rom Richard. Don't remember the cost, but for such a little thing, I remember that I thought it was made of Platinum.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Bob is right, it's usually called a Cable release socket, and I'm afraid it's not a universal fit. I'm missing the entire socket mount for a Fuji lens.

I'm glad that Bob answered to jog my memory. Maybe I can rig a Linhof Quicksocket to work the shutter release lever.

If I were in Eugene's situation I would consider using Loctite GO2 to fasten a cable adapter to the mount. Google Ari's terms for various types.
    Except the Linhof QR System needs the cable release socket on the shutter to work properly. It doesn't replace the need for the socket, it makes it easier and faster to add or remove the cable release. In fact the current version of the QR system screws into the cable release socket with a very short cable release extension and does not use the wire and spacer system of the older versions.