Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Value for 8x10 Field Camera?

Best Value for 8x10 Field Camera?

I've been going back and forth between 5x7 and 8x10 as a larger companion to my 4x5 monorail, particularly for alternative processes. I like the dimensions of the 5x7 format, (and smaller, lighter cameras) but am concerned that the negative size really won't show as well in comparison with the larger format of 8x10 for these processes. Wider choices in films for 8x10 are a consideration, also. As part of this, I've been trying to check in to some reasonably priced choices. One choice I've considered is the Kodak Master View, which would seem to offer some nice features and rigidity at a good price. Careful searching hasn't brought up much commentary on these, but what I have found seems to be favorable. I have seen the occasional Tachihara, but the last one that I've seen was a double extension. The triple extension doesn't pop up too often. Deardorffs seem to be most notable for being dearly priced, and a worry regarding the condition on what is being sold.

At any rate, other than finding a Toyo 810M series, any other possibilities that might be suggested?

Thanks,

Ed

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Best Value for 8x10 Field Camera?

The KMV is a great choice, although finding those odd lens boards can be a challenge.. Also consider a Wehman, if you can find one.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I just checked the current price on the Shen-Hao FCL810-AC and it is about $3300 USD. I think mine was about $1800 a few years ago, so I'm not in touch with current prices. I usually buy used equipment, but that price was so good at the time. I was also looking at a Used and slightly damaged Canham for over $2000 at the time. Keep checking the for-sale section of this forum. See what comes up.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Ed,

I've been shooting for alternative processes with a Toyo 810G and 810MII for several years now. About a year back I purchased a Toyo 5x7 reducing back for a non-alternative project and recently shot several 5x7 negatives with it for alternative processing. By not trimming away the over coats from the brush on 8x10 paper and dry mounting the print on 16x13 museum board I was pleasantly surprised with the result. Although the actual image area is not as large as 8x10 by mounting the full 8x10 sheet which includes the excess coating kind of makes up for smaller image size and tends to enhance the image by emphasizing the handmade quality:

I am thinking about doing this with 8x10 negatives on 11x14 paper instead of trimming away the the rebate. Doing that will require going to a larger mat and frame but I do have a good 12x15 contact frame.

Thomas

Over the years I have had 3 Burke & James Commercial view cameras. These are wooden flat beds. Gray paint can be stripped to uncover beautiful hardwood (Maple I believe on the one I stripped) that can be easily stained the color of your choice. Owned two 8x10s and a 11x14. I always ended up selling them for more than I bought them for. Only problem I ever had was one of the pieces in the flatbed was cracked... was a very simple fix with Gorilla glue. In the late 1970s when I was at RIT, went for dozens of day hikes up gorges with camera, film holders, etc. in a backpack and carried my tripod over my shoulder. B&J also made a very simple wooden tripod that matches up great with their Commercial view cameras. Was surprised to see George Tice using same tripod in a video about him. In my opinion the B&J Commercial view camera is a whole lot more sturdier and robust than older wooden turn of the century cameras. This FORUM is a great place to get opinions of different cameras. Good Luck.

New the VDS 8x10 seems like good value.

Just a quick plug for 5X7 - though I no longer own one, I do have a 5X7 back for my 8x10. I do the occasional cyanotype from 5X7 negs - I really love how they look. Personally, I prefer how they look over my 8X10 cyanotypes, but I think that is because I prefer the dimensional ratio of the 5X7, not necessarily the size. I think I prefer either square format or the longer rectangle over what is produced by 4X5 or 8X10.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Pound-for-pound, I think the Wehman cameras are really a deal. Very lightweight, and one of the cheaper options on the second-hand market. Mr. Wehman even sent me a free part for my camera when I took a fall and broke the focus track.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Another vote for 5x7 -- it is a wonderful size hand-holding for viewing the print and very nice for walls with limited view distances (framed 11x14 or 12x16). And in alt photo work, going from 4x5 to 5x7 is not significantly more difficult...as the jump up to 8x10 can be.

I have a Zone VI 8x10. A good beast and I believe not expensive on the used market. Solid. Not light, but not extremely heavy. All the movements. Bellows do get a bit scrunched up trying to use short lenses (used a 159mm, but 210mm was not too bad) but easily can handle the 24" RD Artar...but I was on the last cog to focus on the moon with a 28" lens. Uses 5.5" sq lens boards - Sinar basically, I think. I am not easy on equipment -- I make them work. And so far, so good these past 20 years with it.

With the FujiW 300/5.6;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaughn - Portrait.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

whole plate prints really nicely on 8x10 sized pieces of paper. Some of your 5x7 lenses probably cover WP nicely, too. Not what you asked but WP is a really nice size for contact prints. I go back and forth about 8x10 and 5x7. I have both, like both. Especially in pinhole, I like bigger negatives. I built a pinhole camera that holds 3 8x10's around an arc, super wide angle and weird distortion, but the 24x10 size is fun for sure and the middle sheet is not too weird.
    Pinhole cameras can be built for next to nothing, too.

I built a beast of an 8x10 sort of like a tailboard camera and built around an enormous, fast projector lens. At the time I thought I was going to do wet plate or dags and would need an 18" f3.6. That lens weighs more than 2 or 3 4x5's... Go that route with some trepidation. I am somewhat stalled out on a 8x10 field camera restoration project. Bought it in pieces for $20 and have another $20 in brass hardware in it. It has an odd lensboard size and not a lot of bellows draw or movements and has 3 holders (non standard). Initially I'm going to equip it with an meniscus lens (close up lenses) and an iris someone gave me out that's out of a small theater spot light. Eventually, it may have a rapid rectilinear or something more modern with a shutter in the 20-30-40cm focal length. Need to make the bellows...that's the major stall right now. I've never made a tapered bellows, I made a huge straight one for the 1st 8x10 project. Very tedious. It will also need a "go hiking" tripod.