Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yosemite to Flood the Weekend

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Yosemite to Flood the Weekend

I was planning to drive-up this weekend for the big snow that's expected and ordered a new set of chains for the car. But just a few minutes ago the late news weatherman is predicting 18" of rain in the Sierra over the weekend resulting in 18' of snow on the crest but 18" of rain lower down would surelt flood the Merced. I checked online and the park is advising to postpone visiting the park starting tomorrow, Thursday, until this situation clears-up. In addition to the 18' of rain expected, that much rain will also wash away the accumulated snow pack at the lower elevations and the result will be the biggest flood in the valley to date: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...photo-12139329

Thomas

Les

Re: Yosemite to Flood the Weekend

Are ye kiddn me, Thomas ? "18' of rain expected", I mean even Ketchikan don't get this much

LOL! I just bought new snow cables for my bride's Passat!
    They've been talking about the possibility of Yosemite Valley flooding on the local news.
    What a mess that'll be!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Are ye kiddn me, Thomas ? "18' of rain expected", I mean even Ketchikan don't get this much
    I believe Thomas actually said " They are predicting 18" INCHES of rain in the Sierra over the weekend resulting in 18' of snow on the crest but 18" of rain lower down" yea like 18 inches is not enough but 18 feet of rain would mean we'll all be swimming. Even those of us on the east coast .

Memo to self: pack the extra tall tripod
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A good friend of mine was living/working in Yosemite Valley during the last big flood. Tourists were all kicked out, but he had a good time photographing and exploring the flooding -- and had the place almost to himself. One of his images ended up being used on an interpretive sign about the flood on one of the foot bridges over the Merced River in the Valley.

Another friend grew up in Yosemite Valley in the 50's and 60's -- she remembers canoeing in the meadows.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Preston Birdwell

A look at NWS-Sacramento today shows 10-15" of rain in Yosemite over the weekend, and 12-24" of snow for Saturday above 7,000'. We are likely to get 7-10 inches of rain here in Columbia. The extended forecast also looks to be very wet.

I am glad I have new tires, wipers, and Goretex boots!

Be safe out there everyone!
    -P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I'll be at home sipping warm Cognac, if anyone asks

Preston Birdwell

Here is an update from our local news in Tuolumne County:

Update at 1:40 p.m.:Yosemite National Park officials now report that all roads leading into Yosemite Valley will close today at 5 p.m. due to a significant winter storm moving into the region early tomorrow morning as projected by the National Weather Service. The National Park Service is concerned that the Merced River could flood. The river is expected to peak sometime late Sunday afternoon. Park officials say the roads leading into Yosemite Valley will remain closed at least through Sunday.

Visitors planning to head to the park are urged to monitor weather reports and check road conditions before leaving. Additionally, park services and facilities will be limited through the coming storm and assessment. The park provided this list of areas that will be open this weekend:

Hetch Hetchy via Evergreen Road will remain open daily from 9am – 5 p.m.

Along Big Oak Flat Road (Hwy 120 West): Hodgdon Meadow Campground will remain open on a first come, first served basis, Tuolumne Grove and Merced Grove will remain open, and Crane Flat Gas Station is open (credit cards only)
    The Big Oak Flat Road will be closed at the junction to Foresta.

Along the Wawona Road (Hwy 41): Wawona Campground will remain open on a first come, first served basis. Visitors will have access to the Redwoods Guest Cottages. There will be access to Yosemite West.* The Wawona Road will be closed at Chinquapin (no access will be available to the Glacier Point Road)

The El Portal Road (Hwy 140) will be closed at the park line in El Portal. Businesses along Hwy 140 outside of the park are anticipated to remain open

Be safe out there!
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

According to the weather report on Channel 2 this morning, moderate to heavy rainfall will continue through next week. If that happens the damage to the park will well exceed the damage of the 1997 and the park will be closed for months. On the bright side back country lakes in the Sierra that have suffered during the recent drought will be recharged.

Thomas