Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak 4X5 B&W to be packaged in 10 sheet boxes (only)?

Old School Wayne

Re: Kodak 4X5 B&W to be packaged in 10 sheet boxes (only)?

They've only sold 10 sheet boxes of color film for years, so the only thing that surprises me is that they were still selling larger boxes of B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    At least you come out even on your holders. I always wish Ilford sold 26 sheet boxes instead of 25 five sheet boxes! I guess I should not complain. Ten sheet boxes seems not only annoying, but wasteful.
    Well I have been buying 100 sheet boxes for some time now, certainly the best way to go. The boxes contain 4 x 25 sheet packets, which are inside the normal plastic bag and in-between the folded cardboard that are standard in the Ilford 25 sheet box.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencar...product_id=621

As far as I know, only the USA has these 100 sheet boxes. I was told in Australia that Ilford didn't make anything over 25 sheet boxes, although they did go a bit silent (when in the store) when I gave them a link to a USA site with the 100 sheet boxes at about 43% of the Australian cost of Ilford 4x5" film on a per sheet basis.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Tonight, Keith Canham mentioned that, while Kodak is changing its standard catalog item size to 10 sheets for 4x5, he's been told he'll still be able to special order 50-sheet boxes. So, if any large volume users are really annoyed by the smaller quantity per box, they need only get together the minimum quantity and have Keith place an order with Kodak for them.
    My guess is this will be the new norm. I wonder if Kodak would entertain producing 100 sheet boxes for these special orders ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

time to buy up the stock 50-sheet boxes now while they are available.

The big "head slapper" would be going to buy film, and being told they only have 10 sheet boxes available, so paying more and having to buy 10 boxes for 100 sheets, etc... :-(

Steve K

Even I, a very casual 4x5 user, see 10 sheet boxes as ridiculous (except for when I want to try out a new emulsion). I have to wonder if the person who thought this up did any real research on 4x5 film usage. I think its a desperate move to save money in the short term to the detriment of the longer term. But - assuming the price per sheet rises significantly in 10 sheet boxes - I expect an immediate decline in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    My guess is this will be the new norm. I wonder if Kodak would entertain producing 100 sheet boxes for these special orders ?
    I'd imagine they would, if you could come up with enough people prepared to pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Even I, a very casual 4x5 user, see 10 sheet boxes as ridiculous (except for when I want to try out a new emulsion). I have to wonder if the person who thought this up did any real research on 4x5 film usage. I think its a desperate move to save money in the short term to the detriment of the longer term. But - assuming the price per sheet rises significantly in 10 sheet boxes - I expect an immediate decline in sales.
    Maybe they've actually done some market research and found that a price point around that of a 5-roll 120 pro pack might actually improve sales? I suspect the C41 4x5s outsell the BW 4x5s by some margin.

Personally I have been put off trying Kodak's black and white emulsions because I'd have to put down £100+ for a box and would be stuck with lots of film if I didn't like it. Having said that 10 sheets isn't enough, 20 or 25 is a much better number for the casual user.

The only upside is users will have lots of extra 4x5 boxes.

Clearly, Kodak's target market is students, and people who try large format for a day, shoot two film holders (forget to remove darkslide on one exposure, another double-exposed), and drop the idea immediately thereafter.