Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Los Angeles California...Questions from a want to be newbie...

Re: Hello from Los Angeles California...Questions from a want to be newbie...

Get one camera (4X5) and one lens (135mm - 210mm) and use them for a few years before even thinking about getting another lens.

As for what to tell your wife - when ever my girlfriend notices and comments about me using a camera she hasn't seen before, I simply respond (lie) "I've had it for a long time - just haven't used it much".
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Get one camera (4X5) and one lens (135mm - 210mm) and use them for a few years before even thinking about getting another lens.

As for what to tell your wife - when ever my girlfriend notices and comments about me using a camera she hasn't seen before, I simply respond (lie) "I've had it for a long time - just haven't used it much".
    Great advice, but don't lie to your bride--such can substantially add to the cost of your camera gear!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I started with a $300 ("The Recycler" which was a proto-Craigslist) Tachihara 4x5. I used it happily until a burglar took it in 1990. It was a good first camera for landscapes. I have many others today but use my Crown Graphic the most. It gets the job done.

Hello all and a happy New 2017 the best for all!

Ok, it did not take long for me to pull the trigger...I am in the middle of purchasing a Toyo 45D with a lens and some other accessories... What do you think...? enough to get me started? Now all the other interesting questions begin....

I just need to get a tripod for this camera...

Regarding the wife, it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission... ;-)

Hope to be showing you all some of my photos good and bad...

Thanks for all your input.

Raul

Dave Karp

Congrats! What lens did you purchase? You are lucky to be in LA from a camera store perspective. You can drive to Freestyle or Samy's and buy film or paper in person! You are not far from Flutot's camera repair (Whittier) if your shutter needs servicing. Not far (compared to most people) from Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Bode, and many, many other great locations.

Hello,

Waiting anxiously on getting my camera and lens from Japan...
    Now to the next step...The tripod...
    I am looking at a Manfrotto MT055XPRO3...
    What do you guys think for my Toyo 45D?

Les

Try getting one with 3 legs and no middle column. The column will eventually loosen....and then you might as well use a beanbag, since it will not move on you. If you are serious, get a tripod that will last, otherwise you'll end up with a pile of tripods in the closet....and none usable.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Try getting one with 3 legs and no middle column. The column will eventually loosen....and then you might as well use a beanbag, since it will not move on you. If you are serious, get a tripod that will last, otherwise you'll end up with a pile of tripods in the closet....and none usable.

Les
    Thanks for the advise Leszek, I do agree with you...Any tripod that you recommend, brand and model?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinetango View Post
    Hello,

Waiting anxiously on getting my camera and lens from Japan...
    Now to the next step...The tripod...
    I am looking at a Manfrotto MT055XPRO3...
    What do you guys think for my Toyo 45D?
    Manfrotto tripods used to be imported and re-labeled "Bogen," then "Bogen/Manfrotto" before just being called "Manfrotto," so a search for used tripods under the Bogen name can get you good, old, very serviceable tripods. I have an old B&H source book (think super-sized catalog/reference book) from ~2001 that lists the aluminum 3xxx Bogen tripods and their maximum weight. Your Toyo45D isn't in that catalog, but other Toyo cameras are. It's worth downloading, see https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/FreeCatalog.jsp and scroll down to the bottom to get the "Professional Photo Sourcebook" PDF files (whole thing at https://static.bhphotovideo.com/Fram...SourceBook.pdf).

30xx were silver legs, 32xx were black legs, but (except for the 3001/3205), the next two digits would indicate the same model.

3001/3205 (my older tripod, which was good enough for a wood field 4x5) have a max capacity of 11lbs, so maybe a bit light for your Toyo.
    3011/3211 and 3021/3221 have a capacity of 13.2lbs and a max height of around 67-70" depending on the model. It looks like the biggest difference between the 3011 and 3021 is the minimum height, in that the 3021 series allow the legs to be spread to get much lower. I don't know if they're sturdy enough for your Toyo, perhaps someone who's used one can chime in. There's a 3021S with shorter legs, you'll want to avoid that one.
    3033/3233 will handle 15.6lbs, max height of 66.5", which should be plenty good enough. In the old catalog, this is called the "Professional" tripod, and is shown with a monorail camera. This and higher models have a geared center column.
    3036/3236 steps up to 26.4lbs and 81.25"
    3046/3246 use a bi-post design, handle 26.4lbs and have a max height of 68.5". That was (and likely still is) a popular tripod for studio view cameras. The catalog calls it "The Sturdy Tripod"

If you see one sold with a head, it'll likely be an appropriate one for the capacity of the tripod, and might be a better deal than trying to find both.

http://www.bogentripodparts.com not only lists parts should you need to repair one, but have photos of all the various models, which can help you learn more if you see one you like for sale.

Welcome to Large Format!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    Manfrotto tripods used to be imported and re-labeled "Bogen," then "Bogen/Manfrotto" before just being called "Manfrotto," so a search for used tripods under the Bogen name can get you good, old, very serviceable tripods. I have an old B&H source book (think super-sized catalog/reference book) from ~2001 that lists the aluminum 3xxx Bogen tripods and their maximum weight. Your Toyo45D isn't in that catalog, but other Toyo cameras are. It's worth downloading, see https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/FreeCatalog.jsp and scroll down to the bottom to get the "Professional Photo Sourcebook" PDF files (whole thing at https://static.bhphotovideo.com/Fram...SourceBook.pdf).

30xx were silver legs, 32xx were black legs, but (except for the 3001/3205), the next two digits would indicate the same model.

3001/3205 (my older tripod, which was good enough for a wood field 4x5) have a max capacity of 11lbs, so maybe a bit light for your Toyo.
    3011/3211 and 3021/3221 have a capacity of 13.2lbs and a max height of around 67-70" depending on the model. It looks like the biggest difference between the 3011 and 3021 is the minimum height, in that the 3021 series allow the legs to be spread to get much lower. I don't know if they're sturdy enough for your Toyo, perhaps someone who's used one can chime in. There's a 3021S with shorter legs, you'll want to avoid that one.
    3033/3233 will handle 15.6lbs, max height of 66.5", which should be plenty good enough. In the old catalog, this is called the "Professional" tripod, and is shown with a monorail camera. This and higher models have a geared center column.
    3036/3236 steps up to 26.4lbs and 81.25"
    3046/3246 use a bi-post design, handle 26.4lbs and have a max height of 68.5". That was (and likely still is) a popular tripod for studio view cameras. The catalog calls it "The Sturdy Tripod"

If you see one sold with a head, it'll likely be an appropriate one for the capacity of the tripod, and might be a better deal than trying to find both.

http://www.bogentripodparts.com not only lists parts should you need to repair one, but have photos of all the various models, which can help you learn more if you see one you like for sale.

Welcome to Large Format!
    Thank you for all the input!! This is very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk