Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protective case for the 8x20 camera

Protective case for the 8x20 camera

Not sure should this be in this section but I thought how I made an protective case for my 8x20 camera.

My Korona 8×20 camera is heavy but it is still possible to hand carry it by the leather handle for short walking distance. Carrying it bare will expose it to scratches and knocks as it is easy to bump this big camera into walls and such.

So I went to buy a $5 foam camping mat, some Velcro straps with tape and went off to work on a DIY protective case. As seen in the video, I have the map trimmed to the required size including the corners and then add in the Velcro straps at the places where the different ends meet.

http://sgwetplate.com/2016/12/protec...e-8x20-camera/

Re: Protective case for the 8x20 camera

Great! I will "use" your idea for my 12x20!

Thanks,
    daniel

great idea and much lighter than the heavy case my 7x17 lives in. I like the opening for the handles so you're the weight is on the handle and not the wrap.

I should ask Daniel Stone about making a case for the 7x17, similar to the ones he made for my other cameras.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Be extremely careful of the handle. Those old handles can look very good, and carry the camera many times, then suddenly they let go. Ask me how I know Luckily it happened as I picked it up off a piece of soft carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Be extremely careful of the handle. Those old handles can look very good, and carry the camera many times, then suddenly they let go. Ask me how I know Luckily it happened as I picked it up off a piece of soft carpet.
    Yes Jim, the old leather handle broke recently. Luckily it consists of 2 layers of leather and only one layer broke. I have replaced it and it should last for a while unless the 2 metal lugs held down by small screws give way first.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Gator makes a number of very reasonably priced "Mixer" cases that you can get at B&H:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...equipment.html
    The 21x18 should be just about the right size. I have a 15x15 for the V8's and one a bit bigger for when I want to also carry several lenses, meter, etc.

Too bad they no longer make the Strebor cases. Two inches of dense foam padding on all sides is the optimal insurance policy against damage for a valued ULF camera that happens at the most inopportune time. Had a buddy that lost a GG when the edge of a film holder case shifted in the back of his vehicle on a photo excursion (you know how equipment piles up in a tight space) and took it out right through the soft sided cover. He did not have a spare with him and it was trip over for that 8x10. They way I look at it insurance always costs money and risk is directly proportional to cost. I personally opt to take that risk out of play but each person makes that decision independently.

Michael,

Strebor might not be making cases anymore, but Lightware is still in business, and makes wonderful cases. I have used some of them for various camera systems over the years, and have always been pleased with their build quality, fit and finish.

-Dan

great idea for the case, not so much for the music track
    I felt like I was in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    great idea for the case, not so much for the music track
    I felt like I was in the club.
    My bad 😂 i blame it on youtube choice of tracks available.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk