Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have any experience with replicating view camera parts with a 3D printer?

Re: Anyone have any experience with replicating view camera parts with a 3D printer?

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    3d printed parts are only cheap if you own the printer and/or you can create the design yourself. If you're lucky, there may be a maker space near you that could help you make the parts.

p.s. You could buy a cheap printer for about the price of the four caps
    There are folks out there who will print your design relatively inexpensively. My guess is that they are trying to recover some of their investment. I've used this guy (once) and was pleased with cost and result (my only complaint is that his home page automatically plays "music" - I hate that).

Consulting the pineal gland

Re: Anyone have any experience with replicating view camera parts with a 3D printer?

Seems like it should be easy. So long as you can model them I think you can put in the threads just fine. Be mindful of what you make them out of, PLA is the easy beginner plastic and some printers do well only with it and some variants... not super tough, somewhat stiff, poor impact resistance, but eco friendly. ABS puts off nasty fumes but is stronger and a better choice. It requires a heated bed and some fussing or various adhesion solutions. You can do nylon or even acetal the later might well be better than the stock caps, but that becomes very tricky and probably needs a heated chamber, heated table, nozzle and fan fiddling, and adhesion tricks.

If it were me, with no printer, I would make them out of shapeways "strong and flexible" or similar. You'll likely use more supplies than the cost of the prints in just learning to use the printer. How many things in your life do you want to make with the thing, or is it better just to hire the occasional work out to cut-rate experts?

JMHO -- Thebes

You can also mold HDPE and LDPE by heating it. Here's a rather long winded video showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO2b9iMitQY

Here's another for PET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y3u4wLqDy4

Photographer

Those threads are M10-1.5 x 8mm. Easy to find. If you spend some time searching, you should be able to find a proper black knurled screw. Alternatively, you can find black socket head cap screws easily, just need a tool to remove.
    Keith Pitman

I've recently modeled a custom LF lens head mount assembly and am having that printed at Shapeways, for a custom hand held LF cam. I'll share some pics when I have it.
    Best,
    Max

I recently took a class on 3D printing and printed a lens board for a crown graphic. Put on a lens, put it in camera and took a Fuji fp3000b photo of the class members.
    You can't teach an old dog new tech's!