Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any Print Out Papers (POP) left?

Re: Are there any Print Out Papers (POP) left?

The Eastman Museum Collodio POP is a lovely thing. The prints are very special (if I may use an overused word). That is certainly an excellent way to go. There used to be plain glossy baryta paper for sale. Is that still out there? If so, much better than fixed-out old paper.

If anyone is interested in silver gelatin POP, by coincidence I'm currently working on a website page for a recipe and technique. If it weren't for the holidays with so much going on I'd probably have it done in a week, but alas, I go deep in on Solstice and Christmas. Look for it soon after New Year's on The Light Farm. Coated on handmade baryta paper, it has a high sheen, almost as glossy as commercial calendered paper. To my eye, it has a whole lot more character than high gloss, super smooth paper (but I may be biased ).
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film

Hi Sandy,

thank You very much for that very interesting link, that could be a way to go for me...

Greetings
    Jens

Freestate has Baryta paper but I've heard mixed reviews and haven't tried it myself. ..I bought some Baryta through the formulary several years ago and it works great

Is victor still in business? ? Link to his website?

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Is victor still in business? ? Link to his website?
    Hej Peter, the website seems to be down... http://www.altphotoproducts.com/ :-(

Hopefully the altphotoproducts website is just down for a bit. Also, it looks like the Formulary is not carrying plain baryta paper currently. I'll use this as an excuse for a plug about learning to make our own materials. Not everyone wants to, of course, and even if a favorite item disappears, there are often alternatives or another process altogether. But still, there is artistic/spiritual security in D.I.Y. and/or laying down a stock of something. I've got a stock of photo-grade gelatin and Marshall's photo dyes.
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Hopefully the altphotoproducts website is just down for a bit. Also, it looks like the Formulary is not carrying plain baryta paper currently. I'll use this as an excuse for a plug about learning to make our own materials. Not everyone wants to, of course, and even if a favorite item disappears, there are often alternatives or another process altogether. But still, there is artistic/spiritual security in D.I.Y. and/or laying down a stock of something. I've got a stock of photo-grade gelatin and Marshall's photo dyes.
    Denise, I'm stuck in a small apartment in DC this winter, and think I might give this a go. What do you recommend as the simplest or easiest emulsion for a beginner to try?

Oy. Small apt in the winter. Been there. You definitely need a engaging activity. Emulsion making to the rescue .

Making paper is easier than dry plates or film, not because of the basic recipe but because the working area can be easier. Coated film or glass needs a dead-flat area and more time to dry than paper. Almost dead-flat works for paper and it's still a puzzle to me that "almost" is so much easier to accomplish.

My favorite paper is the Kodabromide-type in my book. You can read it free in Blurb preview. http://www.blurb.com/books/6465389-the-light-farm

Another very easy one, with a few video instructions, is in the web tutorials on TLF. I have gotten a lot of very positive feedback from people who have learned the basics of paper, dry plate, and film from the tutorials. They are sequential and build step by step, so you have to start from the beginning, but hopefully it's time worth spending.

Very few people have dedicated darkroom space these days and emulsion-making, despite the rumors, is as easy an alternative process as any and more so than most. If you have a second bathroom, that's all you really need to go deluxe, but any space that's clean'ish and can be kept under safelight conditions while needed works just fine. Except with panchromatic materials, red LED mini-lights are absolutely ideal for emulsion making and processing.

I hope you give it a try. Please feel absolutely free to ask any questions along the way. Best of luck this winter. d
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

I think APP has some products available on ebay
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ... it is mostly about things being clean... sanitary-stuff and amounts.

Whelp...count me out