Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a Speed Graphic

Looking at getting a Speed Graphic

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Speed Graphic camera and possibly shooting Polaroid with it to start. I am fairly new to Large Format although I have started shooting wet plate. I have always been interested in the older cameras and the Speed Graphic is such an iconic camera. I figured it would be a good place to start.

I have searched the forums here and found tid bits of info here and there but thought I'd ask specifically if there were certain things to look for and/or things to stay away from?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Re: Looking at getting a Speed Graphic

Familiarize yourself with what a complete camera is, and make sure you buy a complete one. Quite a few on Ebay are missing pieces..... sometimes critical pieces. Missing backs are very common.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Polaroid is discontined and the cost of the cult fanatic material is high.
    Fuji made instant film for similar purposes and it too has been discontinued.
    New55 makes some B&W film that works in polaroid holders but is chosen for it's own charm, not for all purpose photography.

Get some regular film holders and film and start shooting and developing yourself. It's easy. Could be as simple as a few cheap trays, midrange would be one of several daylight inversion tanks for several sheets at once, higher end would be a jobo.

I use a speed graphic most of the time for LF. It's main strength is the focal plane shutter. Super speeds and crown graphics don't have it and are just affordable iconic cameras. A camera with a working focal plane shutter lets you shoot up to 1/1000 sec which you don't get with other LF lenses, and you can use lenses without shutters such as vintage brass or soft focus options, projector lenses, magnifying glasses with spaghetti measure or cardboard irises, aerial lenses, and of course normal shuttered lenses. Anniversary and Preanniversary options use a normal square wood lensboard which is easy to make. Pacemaker models use a stamped metal lensboard which is widely available used and new, or new in carbon fiber. It will have more adjustment options for movements which many LF people like. You may need to purchase more than one to get a properly working one as they are old and few people know how to adjust the simple shutters or replace damaged curtains.

visit www.graflex.org and read the First Time Visitors and Speed Graphic FAQ.

I take jp's points but nearly all of the lenses I use on my Graphics are in shutter or mounted in front of shutters. For me, if not for him, the focal plane shutters' advantages are more theoretical than real. And I say this even though I have 4"/2 Taylor Hobson lens that covers 2x3, which is what I shoot. Fine lens and all that, but at the apertures I normally use (f/8 and smaller) other smaller, lighter lenses in shutter are just as good and much easier on my, um, strong right arm.

Oh, yeah, I have Pacemaker Graphics, Speed, Crown and Century. The ones without focal plane shutter (Pacemaker Crown, Century for 2x3 only) are much better for use with short lenses. If you like w/a lenses keep these measurements in mind: 4x5 Crown Graphic, minimum extension 52.4 mm; 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, 66.7 mm.

Thanks. All good points. I'm still doing my research before I purchase. Large format in general is new to me but I have enjoyed what little I have eased into. I will check out the graflex.org site also. Thanks for that link.

I didn't realize that FP100 has been canned.

I need to look more into developing myself I suppose.

Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan & Lester (or Morgan & Morgan in later editions) is a treasure of information on the Speed Graphic system. Up through the 7th edition cover only the Anniversary model. The 8th edition and up cover the side rangefinder Pacemaker series. The 11th edition covers the top rangefinder Pacemaker series and the early Super Graphic model. This book is available from many online booksellers. I consider the Speed Graphic as the most practical of American press cameras. Build quality was high, and accessories abound. Some less common makers provided a few improved features. The later Burke & James press cameras had a revolving back for both vertical and horizontal formats and better front movements than the SG. The Busch also had a revolving back, but was limited in its small proprietary lens board. The scarce Meridian and the British MPP were a little heavier to accommodate rear movements like the expensive German Linhof. This makes them more of a technical camera than a press camera.

Fp100c is still widely available, even from B&H where the price has calmed down to about $17/box (only about double what it was before discontinuance). So, get some now if you want any, as it won't be any cheaper in the future. Current stuff is good for at least 5+ years if stored right.

Speed Graphic is a good choice, I am partial to the Pacemaker with Kalart since it can be calibrated to most any lens in the 90-200+mm range.

Thanks for all the pointers guys.

Back in the realy 2Ks (2002?) View Camera magazine ran two articles on modifying these cameras for fromt swing and tilt. The magazine folded earlier this year so this info may be lost unless someone has those issuers.

Anybody?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

adding swing is a well-known mod, the info exists online. Tilt is easy too, you can reverse the front standard (though this interferes with the Kalart.)