Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to Ebony or Wisner?

Re: Upgrading to Ebony or Wisner?

You can't go wrong with a TOKO 4x5 (NOT TOYO) wooden, folding field camera. I use mine with everything from a 37mm Mamiya fisheye to a 600mm T Fujinon (actually a 12.5mm Minolta Micro to a 600mm) -- no kidding. All the bellows and movements I need -- 14" (360mm). Check them out at:

http://www.subclub.org/toko/index.htm

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/mygear.htm

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/gonefishin.pdf

Canham has an advantage over the other companies you mention in that they're still in business.
    Canham are well-regarded and most models have a generous bellows draw.
    My personal preference has always been for metal over wood, but aside from material, they are excellent cameras for daily use and are built to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Canham has an advantage over the other companies you mention in that they're still in business.
    Canham are well-regarded and most models have a generous bellows draw.
    My personal preference has always been for metal over wood, but aside from material, they are excellent cameras for daily use and are built to last.
    Linhof is also still in business.

I have two of the metal Canhams, and a wood 4X10 that I've made 5X7 and 4X5 backs for. The wood one is more solid locked down, but much less intuitive for me in the folding and unfolding and use departments. Probably if I used just the wood one that wouldn't be a problem. I really appreciate the extra rise available with the metal ones, and even in the wind I have not had a stability problem with the metal ones. So I would say the metal ones are solid enough, though clearly locked down the wood one is more rigid. The bellows draw and flexibility on all of them are nice.

Drew Wiley

Even my basic Ebony RW45 handles a true 360, though you must cantilever the base tilts front and back a little bit, then re-level the axis tilts to do this - only a minor inconvenience. But at least it alleviates any need of a tophat board. But Ebony is allegedly the most rigid of the wooden folders.

I started with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and still use it. Later, I acquired an Ebony SV45U2. I suggest you start with the Wisner and try that for a while. I doubt you will find anything you cannot do with it. By the way, for full movements with a 90mm Super Angulon XL, both will require a bag bellows. Also, to avoid having to remove the rear element when mounting the 90mm S A XL on the Ebony, it will need to be the lens that lets you remove the flange of the rear element. This is unnecessary with the Wisner. Also, the Wisner will give full rise with that lens where the Ebony will not.

Drew Wiley

Wisner technical cameras haven't been made in a long time and were heavy big clunkers by comparison, while lightweight Wisner 4x5's look downright flimsy to me. The titanium hardware alone of Ebony is dramatically superior to brass. But I'd agree that regular Ebony cameras are clumsy with very wide angle lenses.
    They make special models for architectural use with wide to normal focus lengths, at the expense of the long lenses under discussion here. My own Ebony is in its
    element from 90 to 360. I don't need anything shorter anyway, being pretty much a long lens addict myself.

If you want to upgrade, I'd get a Deardorff V5. I have two, with 23" of bellows. Allows you to shoot 5x7 if you choose to go that route later on. L

I'd get a Zone VI over a Wisner. Better built, and easier for Richard Ritter to repair, if the need arises.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Rob Simmons

I have a 90 I shoot but I have found I like a more normal lens to tele for landscapes. But I have read an Ebony can handle a 90. One thing nice about the Tachihara.