Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2 Front Swing detent

Chamonix 045N-2 Front Swing detent

Im not a seasoned user of the Chamonix having only had it about 4 months but I do find the lack of a front swing detent awkward.

On more than one occasion, after either hiring or lowering the front standard, I must have accidentally moved the bracket which has resulted in a swing to the left or right.

Does anyone else suffer from this and has anyone come up with a solution to ensure its perfectly straight.

Re: Chamonix 045N-2 Front Swing detent

Make indexing marks or
    Don't use lens 90mm and shorter or
    Get a Horseman ( )

Just looking at the photos of the 45N-2 on the Chamonix site...

It looks like the screw that mounts the front standard to the bed controls the swing movements. If this is the case, can't it simply be tightened down enough to prevent accidental swings when raising or lowering the front standard. Or, are you complaining about applying accidental tilt, which would seem a lot easier to me, since the same knobs control both rise/fall and tilt? In the latter case, you need to apply rise/fall first, then tighten the controls enough to hold the front standard in place vertically, but still loose enough to allow you to apply tilt with just a bit of force. Once the desired tilt is reached, then lock down the controls completely.

From what I can see, the camera has index marks for "zero-swing" position and the front standard should be able to be placed in "zero-tilt" position easily by just aligning it with the slider rails.

Maybe you just need to be more careful?

Best,

Doremus

Maybe you just need to be more careful?
    I think is the answer, what would have been nice is if there was some sort of positive detent at the zero position

Ian,

While I do not have the 045N-2, I do have a Chamonix 5x8 and 8x10. I simply took the time to get the front standard square for each hole and then proceeded to put a piece of white tape across the front of the bed. ( Hope that makes sense.). Then I just pull the bellows to whatever hole, line it up with the tape, and screw it down tightly. Have not had an issue whatsoever. At least it works well for me. Here is a photo of the tape running across the bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0513.jpg  

Right.
    IME the problem with clearly positive detents is that very small movements use to be difficult to achive because this detent. And believe me, a positive detent doesn`t assure you a perfect alignment... not in my experience.
    Also, added mechanisms increase weight, and this cameras are absolutely great as extremely lightweight tools (and specially yours!).
    Anyway, a bit of misalignment is negigible in "real life" photography. Don`t be much worried with it. I think the guide dots are more than enough. Even if you were shooting ocassionally flat, long planes, it is very difficult to achieve a perfect swing (or parallel) angle.
    If your shooting style ask for precission alignment, you may be better then with a studio monorail... not lightweight nor portable, you know.
    But I understand your point... I have a couple cameras without detents; for a faster setup I use perfectly squared blocks (e.g., a spare bubble level replacement part) that I use as a square or perfectly flat surface for the task. I don`t have a Chamonix (yet... ), but I think you can place that square block (or any similar thing) on the side of the rail, and then to align the front standard with it to achieve a perfect 90º angle.
    Or maybe it is easier in your case to simply use a mini carpenter`s type square tool. Or to made a lightweight custom sized one out of a couple drafting plastic tools.

I like the idea of both the tape and square block and will certainly try these out. I adore this camera for its ease of use in the field by the way

I tighten the front down so it won't move. One my diy 8x10, I used a metallic marker to mark the bed (rather than tape) so you can verify that it's parallel.

If the amount of torque required to limit the accidental movement seems excessive perhaps a small silicone washer would supply a bit of friction at the interface?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

A bubble level correctly installed on the front standard will indicate swing.

Thomas