Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on this. Hugo even said they could add mm to the focusing scale. Just can't decide on the Hs-1 vs H-1...
    I already decided on H-1, but as i said i want to sell my Shen Hao first, then i have to find a way to order this Chamonix either from Hugo or from the website.

The larger knobs are appealing to me. I have used a Shen-Hao and currently use an Ikeda Anba which is very light, but some days the tiny knobs are difficult to use. I also like the specs for the Chamonix N series and the HS1 which go down to 50MM. I often use a 65MM racked all the way in for infinity focus, and was thinking I might have to trade it for a 75MM just to have a bit more focus/adjustment room.

Nice review, Austin. I really enjoyed reading it. The camera sounds great for a quick setup (esp. as opposed to the F1), and actually seems to have more movements and extension than I expected.

Sounds like an interesting new camera. Any information which lens can be used in the normal or even tele range? Is it possible to use lenses beyond 180mm?

With my Fujinon 240/9 I'm able to focus at 7 meters (23 ft).

The price is attractive. I've been helping a friend track down a 45su for a while and nothing really shows it's face. Plus... they're like 3x the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although Austin's review is for the 4x5 H series cameras, I want to chime in here. For me, I had a second Christmas at Easter 2017 when my Chamonix 45N-2 arrived! Gorgeous in teak, metallic grey hardware, and red standard bellows. A very simple decision by Chamonix--make all screws countersunk--makes for a very smooth and attractive appearance. I might add that this was an age-appropriate camera: I'm 72 in eight days, and fewer, simpler, lighter is better. The metal finish is outstanding; all 'corners' are very slightly chamfered, making all surfaces smooth and pleasant to the touch. And the large knobs are smooth and easy to use. The screw-focus mechanism is refined and makes it easy to move the ground glass into focus. I was attracted to the Chamonix design by looking at the photos of their cameras on the website--beautiful!! And the 45N-2 on my tripod is even more than I had expected.

Yes, you're right! I do like my Chamonix!
    Last edited by Peter Collins; 22-Apr-2017 at 20:07. Reason: changed '2016' to the correct '2017'
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Although Austin's review is for the 4x5 H series cameras, I want to chime in here. For me, I had a second Christmas at Easter 2017 when my Chamonix 45N-2 arrived! Gorgeous in teak, metallic grey hardware, and red standard bellows. A very simple decision by Chamonix--make all screws countersunk--makes for a very smooth and attractive appearance. I might add that this was an age-appropriate camera: I'm 72 in eight days, and fewer, simpler, lighter is better. The metal finish is outstanding; all 'corners' are very slightly chamfered, making all surfaces smooth and pleasant to the touch. And the large knobs are smooth and easy to use. The screw-focus mechanism is refined and makes it easy to move the ground glass into focus. I was attracted to the Chamonix design by looking at the photos of their cameras on the website--beautiful!! And the 45N-2 on my tripod is even more than I had expected.

Yes, you're right! I do like my Chamonix!
    The only feature I hate is the front standard pre process. I often times change focal lengths and having to unscrew / screw in deters me from the Chamonix / Phillips design.

The H system removing this is making me seriously consider a return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super review, Austin. Convinced me to take the plunge for an H model. Will probably opt for the H1 due to the slightly longer extension. I have a few questions for you or any Chamonix users.

My widest lens at this time is a 75mm f/4.5 Grandagon-N and longest, generally a 210 f/5.6 Sinaron-S. Any input on whether I should or should not order the fresnel would be appreciated.

Is it advisable or not to use Grafmatic holders? My Grafmatic experience has been with metal backs so I'm wondering if I might be stressing a wood back with these? Not a deal breaker.

I have plenty of decent plastic film holders so I can't come up with a reason to buy the Chamonix holders. I'm not made of money, but if there are some real positives about them I might order a few. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

Andrej Gregov

I bought some Chamonix 4x5 holders with my Saber. I find I grab them first over my standard plastic holders when I shoot with my Arca 4x5. They're a bit lighter than standard holders and are generally nicer to handle. Backpackers especially like the Chamonix holders for 8x10 where every extra pound can matter. I would say grab a couple if you're curious and see how you like them. If you see no real difference, I'll bet you could sell them in For Sale pretty quick.