Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Thanks Eric!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    Ok so if the tree is 25ft and I’m using a 300mm lens, I’d need 312mm worth of bellows extension.

The Toyo is 321mm (421 if I add an extender - for over $800!!!)

The Chamonix H-1 is 350mm.

So both cameras should work for this tree!

Thanks again Eric! Very helpful info.

Well, I checked the back standard again on my 45H-1. It seems vertical. I was complaining that it didnt look straight before, but it seems OK now.

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am considering between the H-1 and HS-1. I plan to use the camera for backpacking in a single-lens system with the lens attached. I am happier with this workflow more than a folding camera with the lens stored separately, and while the weight will be a bit more, I think the volume would be similar.

My concern is the lens going beyond the dimensions of the case or baseboard when attached to the camera. Can anyone tell me what dimensions or lenses they've successfully mounted to the HS-1 and stored it in the case without the lens jutting out? I think the H-1 might have more room, but I have no need of the extra bellows extension or asymmetric tilt, but might prefer it just because of the added room of storing a lens attached safely

Fully retracted, the baseboard extends well beyond the front of a mounted lens. (Barring something ginormous, which you wouldn’t use with this camera.). Let me know private if you want a photo.

Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

I am going to amend my reply to note that my camera is the H1 and the largest lens I use is a 90mm Super Angulon. The base off the camera protrudes plenty far enough beyond the front element of that leans. That said, I do not carry this camera in a backpack, although I would not hesitate to do so with the lens attached, given sufficient padding and rigidity. Hope this helps.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Thank you for the information. I actually wasn't too worried about the H1 - I understand the baseboard has more than enough room for the lenses. Was more concerned with the HS-1, which has 30cm less length than the H1, if it was enough to keep a lens "safely" attached and put into a bag and then a backpack

Quote Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post
    Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am considering between the H-1 and HS-1. I plan to use the camera for backpacking in a single-lens system with the lens attached. I am happier with this workflow more than a folding camera with the lens stored separately, and while the weight will be a bit more, I think the volume would be similar.

My concern is the lens going beyond the dimensions of the case or baseboard when attached to the camera. Can anyone tell me what dimensions or lenses they've successfully mounted to the HS-1 and stored it in the case without the lens jutting out? I think the H-1 might have more room, but I have no need of the extra bellows extension or asymmetric tilt, but might prefer it just because of the added room of storing a lens attached safely
    I have mounted my Nikon 75 f4.5, Nikon 150 f5.6, and Nikon 210 f5.6 all with caps and had ample room still. A tele or barel lens wouldn't find but I don't know of any "normal" lens that wouldn't on a normal board.

I love my H1, mine came with a very nice bag you could use for backpacking to keep the lens and camera safe with everything else.
    Ira Summers

use the HS-1, keep my lens attached. I use a Nikkor 75mm f/4.5, 90mm Super Angulon, and a 210mm G-Claron. All fit when in my back pack in my camera bag (Large Fstop)

Love the Hs-1, but thinking of switching to the 45N-2 and the 810V with a reducer for when I do 4x5 and 5x7 to use my Voigtlander and Kodak lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    use the HS-1, keep my lens attached. I use a Nikkor 75mm f/4.5, 90mm Super Angulon, and a 210mm G-Claron. All fit when in my back pack in my camera bag (Large Fstop)

Love the Hs-1, but thinking of switching to the 45N-2 and the 810V with a reducer for when I do 4x5 and 5x7 to use my Voigtlander and Kodak lenses.

Fantastic, great to hear. Was thinking of using the same bag as well. Now just need to wait for the HS-1 to come back into production...