Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Russ Fill
    San Diego when Im not working somewhere on the planet, or on the road.

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

I have the 5x7 and a 4x10 back for my H1. I must say that It is so nice to have all these options in one camera. I thought it would be a big deal changing from one back standard to the next but it takes about 1 min. Maybe.. Supper fast and very easy. I have a rather large camera bag now but Im packing the 4x5, 5x7, and 4x10 and a few film holders for each. So nice for when you go on a road trip and your thinking, man I wish I had a different format with me.
    Here are a few shots with the 4x10 on the H1 and the last shot with the 4x5 all on the same road trip.
    Just FYI Im also looking to get a 4x10 Wet plate holder and looking to split an order with anyone who might want to get one for their 4x10. These are Chamonix 4x10 wet plate holders. Chamonix will make 3 as a min order. PM me if you're interested.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...&thumb=1&stc=1https://www.largeformatphotography.i...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190731_182418-01.jpg   IMG_20190725_153333-01.jpg   IMG_20190724_175559-01.jpg   IMG_20190719_134727-01.jpg  
    Russ Fill
    Director of Photography
    https://www.russfill.com
    https://www.instagram.com/russfill/?hl=en

I am about to buy a Chamonix 4x5. I am considering an F2 or an H1. I am leaning toward the H1 because it doesn't fold up and the back standard just seems like it is more easy to lock into place over the F2. I realize you can quick-focus on the F2 by sliding the back standard but after doing that you have to be sure you center it and lock in place... With the H1 though it's slower to focus it looks like the back standard will stay flush and not skew.

So, any opinions on my reasoning and choice? I will use this camera to shoot landscapes, sometimes old buildings and some portraits. I don't plan on using any lenses over 300mm. The widest I think I want to use is a 90mm. I will also get a 150mm and maybe a 210mm.

Thank you!

David

Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Quote Originally Posted by davidpalermo View Post
    I am about to buy a Chamonix 4x5. I am considering an F2 or an H1. I am leaning toward the H1 because it doesn't fold up and the back standard just seems like it is more easy to lock into place over the F2. I realize you can quick-focus on the F2 by sliding the back standard but after doing that you have to be sure you center it and lock in place... With the H1 though it's slower to focus it looks like the back standard will stay flush and not skew.

So, any opinions on my reasoning and choice? I will use this camera to shoot landscapes, sometimes old buildings and some portraits. I don't plan on using any lenses over 300mm. The widest I think I want to use is a 90mm. I will also get a 150mm and maybe a 210mm.

Thank you!

David
    I personally have a distaste for the worm screw focusing on the Phillips style Chamonix cameras. Hence my vote for the H.

The H is a nice camera and I regret selling it. Also, you can add a 57 back to the H down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with the "worm screw" focusing but I am new to 4x5 so I guess that might be a good thing. The other thing is I want to buy a camera and not add too much too it... I probably won't ever use bag bellows or an extension rail or anything like that. Do you think the H1 bellows which are about 45mm shorter than the F2 will be sufficient for a 300mm lens? I'd like to focus on a person with a 300mm for a nice portrait occasionally.

I am not familiar with the "worm screw" focusing but I am new to 4x5 so I guess that might be a good thing. The other thing is I want to buy a camera and not add too much too it... I probably won't ever use bag bellows or an extension rail or anything like that. Do you think the H1 bellows which are about 45mm shorter than the F2 will be sufficient for a 300mm lens? I'd like to focus on a person with a 300mm for a nice portrait occasionally.

See that wheel in the center below the GG, that’s how you get fine focus or focus in general if you don’t feel like unlocking the sliding knobs on the rear standard.

Yes, the H will suffice for sure. Remember, bellows length are useful indoors but you’ll find out that once you start racking bellows out any camera no matter the brand has stability issues with any kind of breeze outside. So it’s one of those internal debates vs practical use / experience you’ll get once you have it in your hand.

Are you Us based?

Ok I see. I like how the focus is on the back. I think on the H1 it's on the sides. Yes, I am in the US (Santa Barbara, CA). I frequently drive 100 miles N to the Sand Dunes and photograph there. I wonder which camera is a better camera for me? I didn't think it'd be this difficult! ; )

Ok I see. I like how the focus is on the back. I think on the H1 it's on the sides. Yes, I am in the US (Santa Barbara, CA). I frequently drive 100 miles N to the Sand Dunes and photograph there. I wonder which camera is a better camera for me? I didn't think it'd be this difficult! ; )
    No matter what you choose, it will work and work well. It’s like deciding between two high end sports cars.

How do you all deal with windy days? Many of the places I go to have wind. Sometimes it's pretty gusty and strong. Do you just pack it up and call it a day or are there secret ways to keep large format cameras steady?

How do you all deal with windy days? Many of the places I go to have wind. Sometimes it's pretty gusty and strong. Do you just pack it up and call it a day or are there secret ways to keep large format cameras steady?
    I’ve done a few tricks... use my body as a shield depending on the direction of the wind, have the film holder inserted with slide removed and wait (patiently) for a break from the wind / gusts, finally I purchased a small “beach changing pop up tent) and would have the camera and myself inside it (again though depending on wind direction)

So I recently sold my FujiFilm GFX 50s in order to buy this 4x5 and shoot film. Some people think I am crazy but I really like the idea of nothing automatic! I also prefer the look of film no matter how hard I try to simulate it digitally it just isn't the same to my eyes. Maybe I am crazy!