Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

I'll have to get a square to check.

Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Well I’ve come full circle I think. I almost bought a Toyo 45AX (very similar to a 45AII) but I wanted stop in here and find out what you think.

The Toyo is about $1200 more than the Chamonix 45H-1. It’s all metal and built like a tank. It’s heavier. I think it’s 5.8lbs or so.

My question about the Chamonix H-1 is how well would it do with a 300mm lens? The subject I want to photograph is an old tree at Point Lobos in Carmel. When I photographed it with a 35mm I needed a 98mm to fill the frame so I’m assuming I need a 300mm on the Chamonix. (I cannot physically get closer to this tree). Here is the crop I want to do with a 4x5:

https://www.davidpalermo.com/prints/...jd-3gzdj-jcrgz

Will the Chamonix H-1 be able to get this shot do you think?

If I buy the Chamonix I will save $1200 but I really want to be happy with whatever camera I buy. Toyo is appealing.

Thank you!

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Dagor 12" in a compound shutter that I got from Jay Dusard. It's a very hefty lens and my Chamonix handles it just fine. Albeit that it's only 240mm, but Nikkor M and Fuji A 300 are smaller & lighter.

I think someone mentioned the bellows is not long enough for a 300mm except if focused at infinity. The tree is 25ft from my camera and I have no idea if I can do that with a 300mm on the H-1.

Thank you!

Assuming you cropped the top/bottom, you need more like a 360mm or 400mm lens for that photo if you shot it with a 100mm lens.

Of course you could use the Nikkor-T 360mm f/8 telephoto to shoot that in the same place, and have bellows to spare.

Don't get caught up in "paralysis by analysis," get the camera that most seems to fit with your style now and work with it. There is no "perfect" camera and you may find you love it or you hate it after you get to using it.

I have a Chamonix 45n1, which was my 4th LF camera (after first a Toyo GII monorail beast, then a Crown Graphic, then a Zone VI, and finally the Chamonix). It has some age-related issues that I won't go in to but I have shot thousands of sheets of film with it. It can do most anything well, including shooting lenses from 47mm to 720mm. I don't have an H-series but I'm sure they are just swell, within the limitations of their design (350mm bellows, check the specs*).

*I see now that the HS-1 has 250mm bellows. The H-1 has 350mm. If you are wanting to shoot a 300mm+ lens, obviously you'll want to avoid the HS-1 model. You'll also want to read up on what "tophat lens boards" are for more food for thought. IMO, why not get an N or F model? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Right David I see it only has 250mm of bellows draw
    But..... a Fujinon T 300 f 8 needs only 200mm of draw.
    I've used a few field cameras Ebony, Deardorff, Canham and both the 5x7h and 2 versions of the Chamonix 45 & I quite like them. Nothing at all wrong with the Toyo either.... though there's enough of them around i'm not sure i'd spring for a new one.

Chamonix Hs-1 Review

[QUOTE\] IMO, why not get an N or F model? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...[/QUOTE

Because I don’t like having to set it up from a folding position. The H-1 is pretty much already setup.

Forgive me for stating the obvious...but you don't have to collapse it.

I only fold up my Chamonix when I'm storing it in a bag for travel. Once it's setup, I leave it open and ready, on the tripod either over my shoulder or attached to my backpack (looks like a huge over-the-shoulder GoPro ).

Either way, you probably don't want the H-1 if you are shooting longer lenses.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

That’s true but I’d collapse it and put it in my backpack. I don’t enjoy hiking with the camera in the tripod.

I also don’t like how the front standard is not connected to the bed. Also the tilt and rise I think are both controlled by one knob. It’s fiddly. But, like cameras , I’m quirky too!

Quote Originally Posted by davidpalermo View Post
    The tree is 25ft from my camera and I have no idea if I can do that with a 300mm on the H-1.
    http://kennethleegallery.com/html/tech/bellows.php