Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Yes I have read that on Chamonix's site and was concerned with it a bit. I have also been told it's really not a big deal so I dunno. Since I have never used any 4x5 since high-school I don't remember how they feel or what I should buy but I am pretty set on a Chamonix. I just don't yet which one! I'll still going back and forth with the F2 and H1. Both have thier strengths and both have their weaknesses. As was mentioned for the stuff I want to do and the lenses I want to use I think either will work just fine.

I want to use a 90, 150, 210 and a 300 for my work. Either camera has more movements than I will most likely use. I think they both have back asymmetrical tilt too.

If any of you have John Sexton's books in the back he lists the lenses he used which is very helpful to me. I can look at the image and then look at the lens he used. His focal lengths are in line with what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    There are locks, but it can be fiddly when doing fine focus.

From Chamonix's web site:

I'm sure it's not alone in this issue, so people have been dealing with it for years-- but it is one reason to prefer the rear worm-drive focusing over side rack/pinion style.
    I have the Chamonix 45H-1 and find this is a pain in the neck. It slips out of focus as you're tightening while you're juggling the loupe. It's a poor design. Maybe with time I'll get better at it.

The levels or their holders are not very accurate. Using a separate level is better. Even my eye is more consistent then their levels.

Also, the standard in the back does not stand upright when you click into the indent for it. It leans slightly back at the nominal indent. There must be an adjustment. Does anyone know?

Well, that is disappointing! I was about to buy it tonight. Hmmmm..... better think more about this!

@Alan Klein: I recently purchased a F-2 and I had the similar thought that the back doesn't quite stand upright. However, it does look like the front standard has the same amount of very slight lean when in it's zero indent.

Quote Originally Posted by fdrsblanket View Post
    @Alan Klein: I recently purchased a F-2 and I had the similar thought that the back doesn't quite stand upright. However, it does look like the front standard has the same amount of very slight lean when in it's zero indent.
    All you have to do is lean a little and all three will be parallel.

The main thing is has that slight tilt or slant affected your photographs?

I checked my 45N-1 (Classic) with a square, and when set up, both standards are at 90 degrees to the base, or so close that it really doesn't matter. The front/rear bubble is spot on, and the left/right bubble is just a hair off (bubble needs to be slightly right of center to be level).

I also took a square to my 45F-2 and with the back set on the indexing pegs, the back is dead straight.

@CatSplat: I never even thought of using my square to actual check. I just did that, and you're right, it's straight. Must just be my eyes.

Yeah, I figure there's a bit of an optical illusion happening due to the back being narrower at the top. Happy to hear things are all shipshape on yours!