Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak/Ilford Film Charts - Wall Posters

Kodak/Ilford Film Charts - Wall Posters

Hey all,
    I was at my local lab the other day and despite going there for 5+ years I never had noticed that in one of the back rooms they had a few posters hanging on the walls that had a pretty extensive list of film brands/types/etc. and some details on these. One of the charts had a depiction of what each sheet films notch code looked like. The charts (if I recall) looked like they had been folded at one point. So perhaps they were sent with Kodak/Ilford products or chemicals.

Perhaps I have some of these in boxes of paper or something, but regardless, any idea where I could find these?

Thanks,
    Austin

PS: And to my shock of shooting 4x5 for 2 years (albeit haven't exposed a shot in 8 months...but will in a few weeks) I NEVER knew about notch codes. It was driving me crazy to know if I had processed and stored TMax 100 or HP5 when doing my recording. I knew it for 90% of my shots because of the original notes I took, but still.

Ed Freniere

Re: Kodak/Ilford Film Charts - Wall Posters

I don't know where to find the poster(s) you saw, but the Kodak Darkroom Dataguide has notch codes, obviously only for Kodak.

I little googling reveals a Wikipedia page that has low-quality drawings of notch codes for Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notch_code

plus other various sites with notch code illustrations.

Thanks for the information. I could always just ask the lab. I know most of the people there anyway.
    Sometimes my brain doesn't think in a very common sense way.

Then again, a few of the "old timers" left or got sick this year and I suspect these have been up for many years, so perhaps no one will know. But, I will ask anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    And to my shock of shooting 4x5 for 2 years I NEVER knew about notch codes.
    How did you identify the emulsion side when loading the film into the holders?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

- Leigh
    I knew they existed and which way to load film. Just never realized they were different or actually had any significance.
    I am an engineer and sometimes I truly wonder where my brain is.

I guess it just never dawned on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

- Leigh
    With the notch on the top of the right-hand side, the emulsion is facing you.

Any other ideas on these charts? I figured lots of people would be familiar with these.

I will be at the lab next week to pick up some test rolls since over the past months I have basically completely replaced my Hasselblad set and had my Leica separated prism repaired and CLA'd.

Kodak published an enormous number of technical documents, ranging from one-page sheets through hard-cover coffee-table books. When i worked there, of course, we referred to many of them on a regular basis. They were identified by a letter/number code; L-5, B-17, etc. The one you really want is titled "Index to Kodak Information".Although I can't remember its ID code, that one is the key to all the others... one of which will be your code notch chart.
    (Sadly, all of my Kodak publications like that are now in storage far away. )You could search the EK website to see what's on line (or still in print), but it's some years since I visited there and have no idea what they've kept. AbeBooks or Amazon may be good resources.

That looks like a newer (current) version; of course it doesn't deal with their color films. The one that I had posted in our C-41/RA-4 processor room there covered C-41. E-6 and B/W emulsions. I suppose that, post-bankruptcy, EK discontinued them all their publications, and the surviving employees have forgotten they existed, or that their customers would still care.
    But it's worth noting that in their heyday, say the 1990s, Kodak manufactured over 300 different emulsions. There was a data sheet for each film type...and lots of other books too. Like "Using KODAK Scientific Films and Plates", our favorite, "Photography with Large-Format Cameras", and dozens more. Those publications are/were a technical resource the likes of which we will never see again. \end rant\

Clarification to earlier post...

Top right corner *when held vertically* emulsion faces you.

If you load horizontally, notches will be on bottom right when emulsion faces you.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk