Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Heads for 4x5

Tripod Heads for 4x5

Good afternoon all..

I recently started getting CRAZY over 4x5 photography after seeing the chromes from an old speed graflex.

Hence i purchased a Calumet (omega) monorail camera (the older version) which incidentally weighs a TON!!!

Just wondering which is a good tripod head preferably with a sub 150$ budget, that would support my camera which i think, weighs 15pounds?

thanks

Tripod Heads for 4x5

A Manfrotto 029 tilt-pan head supports close to 20 lbs, if I remember right, and must cost about 75-80 US dollars. It also comes with a relatively large quick release plate and a bubble level, both very convenient. I use it for 4x5 and 8x10 field cameras, mounted on a sturdy Berlebach 8023 tripod.

It's probably named Bogen-something in the US, however.

Tripod Heads for 4x5

It's a little over $150 ($175 at BH Photovideo), but I have and like the Bogen 3039. It's a 3-way pan-tilt head.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=7&itemid=276

It's the upscale model for the 3047 head. Very smooth and one of Bogen's strongest heads. Also has levels. It supports up to 26.5 lbs.

Tripod Heads for 4x5

Look at the Manfrotto 3057 head. It has a 10kg/22lbs maximum capacity which BTW I believe is a conservative figure given by the Manufacturer. It is a 3 axis low profile head which is probably over kill for a 4x5 field view camera and works great on the 8x10+ units. It also has the built in levels. However, my setup with the 3046 or 3246 tripod (not certain which model I have. I have the instruction booklet in front of me, but the tripod is at home. Although my setup is extremely stable, it is not intended for the long hikes. I find this set up as sturdy or studier than an old majestic I also use.

Tripod Heads for 4x5

The Bogen 3039 is a very nice head as someone else mentioned. I think the Bogen 3057 would also work well with your heavy camera. I've used the 3057 with an 8x10 Deardorff (12 lbs without lens and holder) and it's nice and stable. The thing I like about the 3057 for a big, heavy camera is the fact that the quick release plate is 4 inches square. The head weighs about 4 pounds but given the weight of your camera what's another four pounds here and there?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Tripod Heads for 4x5

For an inexpensive head on my beater tripod - (ie. rock solid, but I won't cry if I bang it on something nasty) I've used the $80 Bogen 3047. It's sturdy, cheap and uses their reasonably nice hex quick release.

Tripod Heads for 4x5

Hello Trevor,
    If your camera is that heavy I seriously recommend a Gitzo Rationalle #4 or a Gitzo #4 low profile. I have and use both and I have never had a problem even with a real heavy 8x10 Cambo SC view camera with a 19" APO RD Artar cranking the bellows out almost full. These heads on a Linhof expert or a Davis & Sanford model A is as solid as it gets. No movement, No shakes and No hassles!
    Hope this helps,
    Paul

Tripod Heads for 4x5

The best tripod/head I've found for 4x5 is a Leica Tiltall. The seem to go on ebay for around $100.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Tripod Heads for 4x5

Weight like that is best served by a Majestic geared head, They can be found used in the range of 80 - 150 depending on condition.

Tripod Heads for 4x5

Hey guys

THANKS for the WONDERFUL replies..

i love this forum SOOO much...

=)

I kinda jumped on a Bogen 3038 without quick release for 60$ in like new condition from ebay.... don't knwo if that's a good deal... but seemed reasonable, as i calculated that the whole setup with a 20$ replacement quick release from BH would come up to aroudn 80$.

But thanks guys.... for ALL the help.

This forum ROCKS!!!!