Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calibrating the monitor

Preston Birdwell

Re: Calibrating the monitor

It means a lot more than that. D65 is a shorthand reference to a CEI standard.
    Thanks, Bruce. I do understand that D65 is a standard, but I wasn't aware of the criteria. I was actually just trying to keep things simple for the OP.

My monitor is also calibrated to D65.
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Lots of helpful info here - thanks :-)

The Eizo CS240 is a wide gamut display but it looks like it was their lowest priced higher end model which did not come with its own built in calibration colorimeter. What device are you using to calibrate your monitor? If you're using anything other than an X-Rite i1Display Pro, that's probably where your problems lie. The other thing is that you almost never want to use the minimum black achievable as that's way too black and you'll end up crushing everything in the deep shadows, giving you a very false impression of how much detail is really there. The exact luminance number that are right for you depend on what your ambient lighting levels are in your edit bay. For ME, in a subdued light environment, that means 90 cd/m2 for the white and .4-.5 cd/m2 for the black point. You'll need to run a few calibrations to arrive at the optimum point for your situation, but those are good starting points. The other big thing is that you must, when you get to the tab where you are naming your profile in Color Navigator, check the Advanced box and make sure to UNCHECK the option that says something like Reflect Black in Tone Curve. That may not be the exact language, but what it does is actually put Black Point Compensation into your monitor profile, which is stupid and ridiculous and not a single person at Eizo could explain to me why that was a default setting, but it will absolutely screw with how dark low key images are presented, making them lighter than they should be.

Hi! I've got the Spyder 5 express. As far as I can see, the option you are referring to is not available in my Advanced menu. Maybe thats not an option on the CS240.

Are you using Color Navigator?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    If it works without calibrating it, then don't fix it.
    Because it looks better "uncalibrated" doesn't mean that it is optimum or even that it is actually "uncalibrated". It may be defaulting back to a factory preset calibration or earlier calibration. In any event I would try and figure this problem out as I don't think simply trusting your eye is good enough. Why would you want to buy a great monitor like an Eizo and not want the best out of it? And......even if it looks good now over the years a monitor's colors etc. will drift. At some point you need to be able to calibrate the monitor correctly. I would talk to Eizo support.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Im using color navigator. And Calibrated the monitor in three different settings that came with - photography, web design, and print.

The best way to use CN is to make a new custom calibration and not use the preset settings. Those settings have no clue as to how YOU work. As I stated before, you'll need to set your custom color temperature, white point and black point luminance and don't forget to dig out that Advanced Options box. I'm uploading screen shots from CN to walk you through it. It may be that when you choose a preset that you don't get to see that option. Well, it looks like they only allow four attachments per post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CN1.jpg   CN2.jpg   CN3.jpg   CN4.jpg  

more CN screen shots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CN5.jpg   CN6.jpg   CN7.jpg   CN8.jpg  

You are right - I get that option when I do this manually. I'm gonna give this a go. Thanks for this - I appreciate it.

Cheers
    Peter