Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RRS QR Plate options for Sinar P/C/F type 4x5 camera?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: RRS QR Plate options for Sinar P/C/F type 4x5 camera?

Jan, yes Kessler is the best I've found I believe it was your post about them. Nice thing is that when I spoke to them they made a bigger one for ULF cameras. They are more of a movie/film/digital company. What impressed me most is that they listened and then delivered what i asked. We need to take a look at the product line and support them. I'll find the link to the larger head. I took a short break .... 2 more 8x20's to go!

A lens plate as you mentioned will certainly work - I use one myself. I believe it is the 100mm one from RRS.

On my Toyo 45A and other 4x5's with a solid base, just about any camera plate will work fine.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Okay sorry but I thought that they were making the Kwik Release receiver but I was wrong. What they made is the Kwik stand XL. Still I'm going to order one and check it out. The system is awesome and works great for ULF.
    Here is the link

http://store.kesslercrane.com/kwik-stand-xl.html

By the way, when you order a Kessler plate, they include the allen wrench(es) you will need and an assortment of high quality bolts to use with the plate.

The kessler plate is exactly what I've been searching for! Thanks so much.

Thanks for all the replies... I would love a sinar pan/tilt head but i've found them to be so expensive and/or not generally available. I've used this rrs piece before from a friend who lent me the 1400$ tripod and 500$ head... I fell in love with it with the L plates for 35mm digital, I just love how it locks so easily and firmly and doesn't slip forward under load at all. Finally got the rrs head at least on an ebay auction for somewhat less than new.

OK, to all.....an 10x8x18 box just came, it also had some of those pillow things inside at 7,000ft they looked a little flat.....I think that this may be the best quick release I have found.....Oh, I can add one more photographer to the list....we had dinner with Kirk and Victoria Gittings and Kirk also changed over to KesslerCrane....if it warms up I may go out and make some pics.....yes we just got our first snow....jan

Quote Originally Posted by william.j.dwyer@usa.net View Post
    Most options are well below 76mm or 3"... I'm currently using a manfrotto hex plate and older manfrotto head. I'd love to be using my RRS BH-55 head instead.
    Any ideas or options?
    Bill
    Hello,
    If you are using RRS lever style quick release clamp, I think you should stick with their plates.
    Even though, my RRS 80mm lever style quick release clamp could not hold some RRS plates in place as should.
    Purchased another one, and will send the other to be repaired.
    For my Sinar, I settled on using a Norma rail clamp plus RRS B35 flat plate. Yes, the plate has a 1/4" screw, but the Norma is compact compared with the regular more recent clamp. Tightened very well with a medium strength thread locker. To be honest, I do not know if I'm obsessive fearing that the neck of the 1/4" screw could break! It's surrounded by a 3/4" to 1/4" adapter anyway!
    Doing so because I'm insisting to use the lever style clamps and BH-55 for all format cameras. It's easier to deal with the same mechanism every time.
    Hope this useful.
    Thanks.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

For my Sinar, I settled on using a Norma rail clamp plus RRS B35 flat plate. Yes, the plate has a 1/4" screw, but the Norma is compact compared with the regular more recent clamp. Tightened very well with a medium strength thread locker. To be honest, I do not know if I'm obsessive fearing that the neck of the 1/4" screw could break! It's surrounded by a 3/4" to 1/4" adapter anyway!

That would really be overkill! Try 3/8 to 1/4-20"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That would really be overkill! Try 3/8 to 1/4-20"
    Hahaha
    Thanks for the correction Bob.
    Happy days to you and to every one here.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------