Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RRS QR Plate options for Sinar P/C/F type 4x5 camera?

RRS QR Plate options for Sinar P/C/F type 4x5 camera?

I noted a thread from a while ago where someone mentioned having had a small series of custom plates made, but even contacting Really Right Stuff support they have basically no plates for this. They said you could use a 100mm lens plate perhaps. The bottom of the camera is 3" round and it has the female thread and basically nothing but the rim all the way around. See photo below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161123_184912016.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	157923

Most options are well below 76mm or 3"... I'm currently using a manfrotto hex plate and older manfrotto head. I'd love to be using my RRS BH-55 head instead.

Any ideas or options?

Things i've already considered / tried...

I've considered buying a piece of home depot 16GA steel and get a bunch of jigsaw blades and just cut a 3" round and drill it in the center and attach it to a small standard arca swiss plate. I thought of using aluminum but figure it wouldn't last unless it was really thick.

I've tried using smaller qr plates and it just wobbles about.

I've considered the 100mm RRS lens plate, it could work but might not be as secure.

Thanks,

Bill

Re: RRS QR Plate options for Sinar P/C/F type 4x5 camera?

What head are you planing to use the camera with? I recommend picking up a Sinar pan/tilt head. Leave rail holder mounted to the head. Simply loosen the lock to lift the camera out. I'm generally a big fan of Arca-style quick release plates, and I have them on most of my cameras, but I don't on my P2. Even if I won Lotto, I'd still use a Sinar pan/tilt head for a Sinar camera. It's the most ergonomic and high strength-to-weight ratio solution for a Sinar round-rail camera. Also, while they're not cheap, they aren't ludicrously expensive used.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'd side with Peter on this one; the Sinar PT head is quite wonderful when paired with a Sinar camera, and vice versa.
    If you must use a longer rail in the meantime, FLM makes a 130mm and 160mm QR plate.

Kessler makes a 4"x4" Kwik Utility plate
    http://store.kesslercrane.com/produc...te-mg1005.html

Their Kwik Release Receiver has a double locking system
    http://store.kesslercrane.com/kwik-r...ly-mg1001.html

After having a generic "Arca Swiss" plate fail, switched to Kessler Receivers and Plates and have never looked back.

Greg,

My Christmas present should arrive on Tuesday a KesslerCrane Kwik Release and standard plate.....you are one of the first people to talk about KC products I hope that they are going to work.....I had $80.00 in AE money and free shipping so it is only costing me $90.00.....Tell me more about the 4x4 plate.....Jan

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I bought the Kessler Crane Kwik release plate as well and I love it! I even use it for my ULF cameras. I spoke to the head of design and after some discussion they decided to make a 4"x6" Kwik release base. It is on their site. I have to order one. It is $109.00. I must say that the standard plate holds my 14x17 camera with no problem and it is a dream to mount and unmount. Takes no time at all. Before I had to find the two 3/8-16 screws coming out of my Gitzo head and get them into the base of the camera. Took about 10 minutes at least. Now it is about 10 seconds! I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak View Post
    Greg,

My Christmas present should arrive on Tuesday a KesslerCrane Kwik Release and standard plate.....you are one of the first people to talk about KC products I hope that they are going to work.....I had $80.00 in AE money and free shipping so it is only costing me $90.00.....Tell me more about the 4x4 plate.....Jan
    Via a post on this Forum, found out about Kessler quick releases and camera plates. They seemed to be very well built and their double locking mechanism final sold me on trying them. Took the plunge and bought a Kesseler Kwik Mini Plate for my 4x5, and a Kesseler Kwik Release (receiver) for my tripod head.

Seemed a bit expensive when I ordered them, but when they arrived looked great and after using them, well they are worth every penny. Double locking mechanism/levers foolproof in the field. Ended up buying another Kesseler Kwik Release (receiver) which easily replaced the round camera platform on my large older Foba Ball in Socket head and a Kesseler Kwik Utility plate for my Whole Plate and 11x14 cameras. Mounting my 11x14 Chamonix on the tripod head using the 3/8" screw was always a bit touchy to align the 3/8" screw with the 3/8" socket in the middle of the bed of the camera. Using the Kesseler Kwik Utility plate so much more user friendly and takes a fraction of the time. Stability amazing rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I bought the Kessler Crane Kwik release plate as well and I love it! I even use it for my ULF cameras. I spoke to the head of design and after some discussion they decided to make a 4"x6" Kwik release base. It is on their site. I have to order one. It is $109.00. I must say that the standard plate holds my 14x17 camera with no problem and it is a dream to mount and unmount. Takes no time at all. Before I had to find the two 3/8-16 screws coming out of my Gitzo head and get them into the base of the camera. Took about 10 minutes at least. Now it is about 10 seconds! I love mine.
    Do you have the URL for the 4"x6" plate? I can't seem to find it on their site.
    thanks

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I'll check in a few hours. Going to develop 8x20's now.

Greg,

Thank you for the information.....if all work out I will convert the 4x10 and 4x5 and 6x17 over to the KC system....we will see.....I will also have a number of quick releases in the for sale dept....

Jim,

Thank you for confirming my choice.....I miss the old days of seeing/having in my hands the things I want to buy.....It looks like you had a great time at the Lg/ULg format gathering.....

Hasta que nos miramos....Jan